upgrading brakes on 1.0L

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
I'm interested in Broony's GTiR brakes but been told its pretty much pointless as i havent got the power to justify the brakes.

If i fitted the GTiR brakes onto my 1.0,would it be worth it? I know my braking would be improved,but are there any down sides to doing this?

I have both a stock 1.0 that I use as a runabout as well as a much quicker 1.3 and brakes of those size wouldn't be of any benefit in my opinion.

Brakes were one of the things I wished to upgrade on my old K11 and wil be doing on my new one. The stock K11 ones in my opinion weren't very good, especially for the on-track thrashing I hope to be giving them. So some new tyres and brakes shall be on the way :)

do it man shorten the brakin distance in any car lol no harm just be able to brake later! also be able to be confident in your brakes as they will be pritty good

if you can lock your wheels, that means that you're already able to achieve maximum braking power, all bigger/better brakes will do, is let you get maximum braking power earlier, and for normal driving, make it a hell of a lot easier to lock your wheels.

Don't forget, GTI-R brakes are far, and seriously far from lightweight, carrying all that extra weight on the wheels on a CG10 will have a noticeable affect on your acceleration.

Better tyres is a better option, then if you can't lock your wheels with better tyres, then look into better discs and pads that are the same size.

Remember that having power alone doesn't justify better/bigger brakes, braking from 70mph is the same whether you have 50bhp or 500bhp. It's only really needed if you're driving illegally/speeding/danegerously on public roads, or intend to do a lot of track days.

just had brand new BFGoodrich tyres fitted (195/50/15) I dont really intend to do track days but will be taking it up santa pod next year.

So whats the verdict,do i or dont i?

I can see the positives in upgrading, as i've done an upgrade on my K10. They felt alot more responsive than standard ones, and improved braking time and reduced stopping distance.

you don't have to be on a racing track to warrant an upgrade. If you're able to stop better on public roads then that's a good enough reason.

Slamming on the brakes isn't the best way to stop though, which usually causes these skids you are referring to. If you brake normally, and correctly, general braking will be improved. The calipers will bind with the pads better and should make the car slow down quicker!

When i had my Vented brakes, i still never skidded, when having to break firmly. Maybe this was because i had decent tyres? I'd still recommend doing the upgrade, and i'm sure anyone else who's done a brake upgrade would too

Arnold, the thing is though, if your standard discs and pads have the power to lock the wheels bigger brakes will not make it better, all it will do is allow you to provide the power to lock the wheels eariler.

This results in a shorter stopping distance as you get more power for less movement of the pedal.

Also upgrading the front and not the rear makes the rear become light under braking also.

If you can lock the front wheels in the dry, go for better and wider tyres.

If you get to a point where you can't lock them or struggle in the dry, then go for hoses, discs and pads standard size but designed for performance.

braking isn't about locking the wheels up, i'm sick of seeing this on here! i bet micra brakes would lock up the wheels of a maclaren slr, so why do they put ceramic brakes on??? it's all about heat dissipation, the faster you can dissipate the heat, the faster you'll stop. only idiots and people who can't drive properly lock up the wheels
the standard micra brakes are no good even in a 1.0 with spirited driving around country lanes. i know this because i've cooked mine before - not a nice experience, and not something i wanted to do again. so on my 1.3 i've got n14 1.6 brakes on now, but sat in my shed is exactly the same set up as brooney's selling.
a car with decent brakes would probably lap a track faster than a more powerful car with standard brakes, because the brakes wouldn't fade as much and they would be able to brake later into the corner.

i agree with not having a correct set up front and rear, but the micra has an ajustable load valve for the rear brakes. but i've got a rear disc axle to fit to my k11 anyway;)

the only down side to fitting gti-r brakes is the excess weight of them, but i've not seen any actual weights of either gti-r, n14 1.6 or micra std brakes. the discs can't be that much heavier, so that shouldn't affect rotating mass too much, so overall, it's probably like eating a large meal just before you get in the car. lol

I agree with you about brake fade, but you should be braking smoothly anyway, way before the corner, even driving spiritedly you shouldn't be anchoring your brakes.

I've compared the weights of GTi-R Set up and Stock and it's quite a big difference, can't remember the actual weights though.

If your brakes have the power to stop you then upgrading them will only give you that power at an earlier point.

I agree with you about fade if it was going to be used on a track, which it's not. Apart from dragging it, so imo brakes like that are a little overkill.

Just go for upgraded discs and better pads. And overhaul your rear drums too.

Back