Unique K11?

Hi everybody, and Happy New Year.

Been looking at this site for a while, but just got round to joining.Thanks to some of you guys for technical tips I've picked up over the months.

I've driven many K11's over the last few years thanks to my mate. Didn't really like them at first but I'm getting used to cars that fire up on the first click, and I've got a love of timing chains!

Anyway, at his age , he should be taking in stray cats or rescuing donkeys, but he has this K11 sanctuary. Maybe only 6 or 7 strong right now, but he's probably had more than 20 over the years. He also has a K10 and a K12. Oh, and 2 Figaros! The medication doesn't seem to be working.

Because I was involved in kit cars and chassis design for quite a while, he's been going on at me about building something around a Micra. So, here it is, nearly. Hope I've worked out how to load up the image. Will try again if it doesn't work. I maybe should have put it in a different section, but it's part of my intro. Sorry about only the one pic, and the quality, but it's in a disused building on a pig farm. Will get it out when weather gets better and take some shots around car.

He liked jeeps but I didn't, so we compromised on a moke type design - a moke on steroids. It's a lot bigger, all round, because I tried to stick to the K11 floorpan, and particularly the front bulkhead and engine/suspension support assembly. I needed the easiest route to getting through the IVA front impact requirements and figured that I could cross reference big chunks of the requirements against the Micra Type Approval. Here's hoping.

We took the sills off and replaced them with a couple of tubular trusses which tied in the door pillars and roll cage. The floorpan is pretty much standard K11, shortened at rear, and some mods were needed around rear damper pick-ups. There were lots of compromises that had to be made in the styling, but I'm warming to the bits I didn't like at first (high bonnet, front overhang, etc - not much I could do to change size and position of lump). The plain bits behind the front scuttle that cover the dash will get a couple of full size louvres soon.

It's a bit rough around the edges, but the moulds will not require too much more work to tidy things up. This body will probably get a camouflaged paint job.

I hope some of you like it. Has anyone ever done a K11-based kit before?

Thanks for taking the time to look, and my apologies for a bit of a long intro. I hope to get in some mileage come spring/summer.

Cheers
Kevin
Moke12_zps0df8cafa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back