transmission noise?

hi, just bought a 51 reg 1.0 vibe with 43 k genuine miles on it, ive done about 200k miles in my micras over past 15 years and been very very lucky with them and I feel I know their quirks pretty well;

there are two things, one there is a bit of vibration coming through gear lever which gets louder if you hold gear lever knob, my previous micra did this but had treble the mileage, and having done some research, concensus seems to be its worn linkages??

however the other thing is car is totally silent till it gets to about 5o mph in third or fourth then there is what I can only describe as a subdued howl or whine which goes away when you put clutch in or knock car out of gear and coast, so its not wheels;

I've tried all sorts of searches inc on this forum without getting much further, any body any thoughts what it could be, gear selection etc all absolutely fine

thanks

dave

the vobrating/buzzing gear stick, especially in 5th gear cruising, is caused by worn loose gear linkage bushes.

the howl/whine with clutch disengaged or when not under load sounds like worn input shaft bearing

sorry, it is making the howl/whine when driving along at 50 plus, but when I knock it into neutral and coast, the noise disappears, am I at x purposes ?

is the gear linkage bushes an expensive repair?

yea the input bearings worn. replace bearing or whole gearbox.
https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-120#post-706665

linkage bushes, real easy.
ur options r either replace the selector arm with a newer spare one (double check it's from a similar engine size and whether it's pre-face / facelift),
https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/#post-381098

or upgrade to ball bearing bushes which is smoother and more durable.
https://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-105#post-663753

that is some blog, fascinating, thank you; well re the whine, I think I will just put up with it for now given car cost me £450, im doing mostly town driving these days so its not so annoying as it could be, just good to get an idea of what it actually is
dave

thx, glad it's helped.
yeah if it's a small whine, it's minor, not essential, won't stop the car, but the gear teeths n bearing won't like ya in the long run. I think most ppl just run it to the ground n swap whole gearbox rather than get it rebuilt.

but if it becomes a loud whine like that cheap alfa challenge episode on topgear yrs ago where jeremys gearbox bearings suddenly died during trackday at rockingham and whined very badly,
then it's a sign it's really really gonna fail anytime where the teeths are mashing together from the sloppy damaged bearing. at this point it's inevitably gonna be a gearbox swap.

thanks for advice, i havent really been in this situation since my old viva in 86, presumably a recon gearbox is best way forward rather buy someone elses problem box s/h? i bought this one purely as a a runaround/commuter to save the miles on my good car basically because it looked so tidy, its got a years mot, four good tyres, nice tight steering and clean oil in it, so i figure spend as little as possible for next few months and see how it does; i was remarkably fortunate with my other one, but at 134k it really was falling to bits

Back