1.0l N-reg noisy transmission

slimey

Club Member (Trial)
I've got an N-reg 1.0l Hollywood Micra, which I've had for about 2 months now. 120k miles on the clock.

Over the last week or so, it has developed an increasingly noisy transmission. I'm planning to start by checking the gearbox oil level. The car is currently up on axle stands, and I've had a look under and over the gearbox, and eventually found the speedo cable entry. I've had a few attempts at undoing the speedo cable, but I've not yet worked out how to get enough pressure on it to undo it. From reading this forum, I'm going to have a go at just undoing the 10mm nut and removing the whole lot in one go.

Once I've got the speedo cable removed, how do I tell whether the level is correct or not? The Haynes manual seems to make it over-complicated - is there an easy way to tell?

Looking under the gearbox, there seems to be a lot of oil over the gear-lever linkages - is it likely that it's leaking from the gearbox?

Pretty much since I've had the car, there's always been a very distinct "hot oil" smell both through the ventilation, and also outside the car when I've been driving for more than 10 minutes. Is this likely to be connected?

On top of this, I've got a clunking noise when turning hard right at low speeds - is this indicative of the right-hand CV joint needing replacing? I had a look at the boot while the car was on the axle stands, and there seems to be signs of it cracking/splitting in one of the 'valleys' of the boot.

Thanks!

Simon

I believe that when you remove the speedo cable, it kind of acts as a dip stick. If there's oil on it, it's roughly at the correct level. I done mine by basically, if i could feel oil through the speedo cable, it was about the right level. Maybe not the correct way, but my gearbox is fine. Or you could just empty the box and put about 3 litres of oil in there.

The clunking noise is most probably CV joints, quite common on the micras!

Well, I got the speedo cable out, and the oil looks to be over the top of the pinion on the end of the cable, so it looks like there's sufficient oil in there.

The car is still very noisy to drive. With the clutch depressed, it's nice and quiet. With the clutch pedal up, and in neutral, there's an increase in noise level. Hard to describe the noise - sort of rattly.

Any ideas?

Could possibly be the clutch then, there are 3 parts to a clutch (i think), I remember I had a bit of a squek/squel in mine which was down to the clutch.

I'm not overly amazing with the clutch detail, but hopefully someone else may be able to give you some advice.

your clutch release bearing is worn, thats what makes the rattly, rustley sound, from the clunking it sounds like you need a new cv joint, your oil leak is likely to be the rear crankshaft oil seal thats weeping, is there any oil weeping from the front seal thats behind the crankshaft pulley because that can cause a hot oily smell inside the car.

I have that problem, i've put it down to the clutch. Its kinda a grinding sound only when the clutch is up? Also, mine misses a gear occasionally, which isnt me!!

My job for summer, New clutch.. Oh what fun :/

Chris

i bought a micra with noisy transmition. it depends on the sound. clunking noises on turning are CV. i had a wurrrrring noise and turns out the gears weren't meshed properly and the gears had no teeth. that was a new box. cant remember the clutch release bering noise. but it is as much work to change the box as it is to change the clutch. so i would go to a scrappy and get a low milage box and a new clutch kit and change it all in one go. i would say a day's work if you have the space and tools.

Back