Tranny Problems, shifting to 2,4 and reverse. Help Please.

Hey all, I just looked through all the K11 Gear linkage posts I could handle. I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and the clutch cable 2 days ago. Now I cannot get the tranny to shift into 2 or 4th but reverse goes with a hard shift and then seems to STICK. I have to use force to move it out. The other gears 1, 3 and 5th works great. Can anyone please tell me what this might be AND does anyone have a workshop manual on these micra transmissions that I might be able to buy? Please let me know. By the way, a tranny here in Germany is running around 300 Euro give or take a couple of dollars...(euros).

Thanks up front!

Ps. I have found a tranny, it is about 2.5hrs from here and the guy wants 95 euro for it. Have to pick it up though.

i don't think the gearbox is the problem mate i have had this problem when i changed a clutch in a k11 for the first time about 4 years ago i think its the rear box mount that comes lose? i had the same problem on a sunny as well.

Or you fitted the clutch wrong

well i know when it happened to me it was fine for about a month then it just started getting hard to engage 2nd 4th and reverse then it got worse over the space of a week to the point i couldn't get 2nd 4th or reverse i had to reverse by using one leg out of the door and push it lol. i ended up scrapping the k11. then when i changed the clutch on the sunny it was the same thing it turned out to be a loose mount (rear box mount) the 3 bolts that hold the mount to the box came lose. i don't know why cause i really tightened them. i would suggest using thread lock or something on these bolts thats what i did and never had a problem again.

Lol I didn't mean you I ment him, he said he's had a new clutch on it

On another note 300 euros!!!! I sold mine for beans, you'll get one for £30 here postage surely won't be that much to Germany

Unbolt the linkage from the gearbox and try to move the gearbox selector by hand into 2/4th rev, engine off obviously. If its ok, linkage seized or clutch needs adjusting(is bitepoint 1/2way?) If its stiff, gearbox issue.

Unbolt the linkage from the gearbox and try to move the gearbox selector by hand into 2/4th rev, engine off obviously. If its ok, linkage seized or clutch needs adjusting(is bitepoint 1/2way?) If its stiff, gearbox issue.

Thanks for all the info, I did use lock tight and I did double check the clutch to make sure that I have the thicker side out(twds the tranny). I bought a new clutch cable because after the new clutch install the clutch felt really soft and nt hard, also I had to adjust the new cable all the way up(I used a spacer to give me more thread). I thought this was funny but It is in the car right. I baught the used tranny for 95 Euro and drove the 2.5 there and then back. Got home last night around 8 pm. Which mount are you refering to that is the "Box mount"? Is it the one metal bracket right in front of the radiator with 3 bolts? I did use lock tight on all bolts. This damn thing is a headache and if my daughter didn't need a good car fast, I would have given up by now.

Any luck on the tranny manual?

Thanks for all the help guys!

my k10 manual has a g/box rebuild section buddha, or there,s the russian pdf one eh :)

Do you have the link for the Russian pdf? My Haynes manual does not have the rebuild for the manual tranny in it. What manual do you have and what Model trans is it? Thanks!

no the i mean the rear mount mate its down the back of the engine its the bit that bolts to the gearbox that came lose on mine and it was moving up and down under acceleration causing the gearstick to hit the dashboard and not letting me engage 2nd 4th and reverse. that is the first thing i would check. and them boxe's are a fiddle to work with just don't lose the ball bearings :laugh:

there,s a link here buddha http://www.autolanka.com/forum/index.php?/topic/11117-prok1jec 197mb tho :eek:
and my haynes k10 one covers the RS5F41 g/box (a scaled down RS5F30)
Thanks FRANK! Downloaded and looking. I got another tranny and will replace it tues, after that I am going to disect the old one and figure it out.. I will take pics and if anyone is interested can email or upload if possible. Thanks again!

@sr20bud - thanks, that must be the the crossmember bar. It goes from the front of the car to just behind the engine. There is a big rubber mount there with a mount as well. I will double check everything... Thanks everyone, will keep giving updates... btw, the manual(russian) is a blessing... I don't understand the damn thing but the pictures sure speak volumes! LOL

Thanks for all the info, I did use lock tight and I did double check the clutch to make sure that I have the thicker side out(twds the tranny). I bought a new clutch cable because after the new clutch install the clutch felt really soft and nt hard, also I had to adjust the new cable all the way up(I used a spacer to give me more thread). I thought this was funny but It is in the car right. I baught the used tranny for 95 Euro and drove the 2.5 there and then back. Got home last night around 8 pm. Which mount are you refering to that is the "Box mount"? Is it the one metal bracket right in front of the radiator with 3 bolts? I did use lock tight on all bolts. This damn thing is a headache and if my daughter didn't need a good car fast, I would have given up by now.

Any luck on the tranny manual?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Did u put any grease on the release bearing coller cos i once did that the first time without knowing dirt n dust would build up n cause serious drag on the coller making the clutch pedal extremely hard to press n wear out the cable & release bearing clip.

After fitting a new clutch disc its normal to tighten the cable screw all the way cos the thicker disc makes the diaphram fingers rest further lower so the clutch arm would also have to position the release bearing lower so that the bite point would at 1/2 pedal stroke. As the disc wears thinner, the bite point rises up so every time u service the car u have to loosen the cable to lower it back to 1/2 way.

If you've tightened the cable all the way but it bites below 1/2 way either the clutch cable bracket on the gearbox has bent forward or the discs too thick.

And for pics on disassembling the k11 gearbox check my blog page 18 post 512

http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/35251-PollyMobiles-Rebuild/page11?t=35251&page=18

PollyP,

I just looked through your thread... amazing! I do appreciate your insight. Can you tell me perhaps why the shift linkage coming out of the tranny would be hard to engage 2,4 and just tight in Reverse? I looked at your pics and the shift rod just moves in and out. I can't see where it would bind. Thanks... you seem to love to tinker with stuff.. BTW, I really liked those new Shocks/Struts... Very pretty until the rain! LOL

PollyP,

I just looked through your thread... amazing! I do appreciate your insight. Can you tell me perhaps why the shift linkage coming out of the tranny would be hard to engage 2,4 and just tight in Reverse? I looked at your pics and the shift rod just moves in and out. I can't see where it would bind. Thanks... you seem to love to tinker with stuff.. BTW, I really liked those new Shocks/Struts... Very pretty until the rain! LOL

So did u unhook the gear linkage n check the gearbox selector moves freely?
Can only think the issue could be caused by worn/seized linkage bush, misaligned linkages caused by loose rear mount or loose gearstick ball mount.

I like tinkerin indeed :p

Collies v pretty hence keep em wrapped to protect em

So did u unhook the gear linkage n check the gearbox selector moves freely?
Can only think the issue could be caused by worn/seized linkage bush, misaligned linkages caused by loose rear mount or loose gearstick ball mount.

I like tinkerin indeed :p

Collies v pretty hence keep em wrapped to protect em

Pollyp,

Yes, after reading some of the threads that was one of the first things I did. I disconnected the shift linkage at the tranny and it was very hard to pull out but pushed in ok. I am going to switch tranny's tomorrow and then I will disassemble the old one.... I will need lots of help... and your pics will prove very valuable! Maybe I can bug you with some more questions if you don't mind... LOL, Thanks to all!

Sure no probs.
When pulling back, was it like sticky or more like the mechanisms not aligned n notchy?

It was like is was stuck or hanging up on something. Just really tight. Tomorrow is the dreaded day, so I will pull it out and install the new/used that I just bought. I hope everything goes as planned and then I can start tinkering with the old one. Does anyone know where to buy a gasket set for these tranny's or is it something we just don't do?

gasket set? there's just a metal splash plate between the engine n box but i left mine off cos its a PITA during installation. when putting the gearbox casing back together u just clean n reapply PU/gasket sealant on the mating faces

gasket set? there's just a metal splash plate between the engine n box but i left mine off cos its a PITA during installation. when putting the gearbox casing back together u just clean n reapply PU/gasket sealant on the mating faces

@pollyp, well I just lost my entire post... have to start over! ughhh. As I was saying, I meant a gasket set for the tranny not between the tranny/engine. I called my brother in the States and he said he would mail some "Permatex - Gasket Maker". That is the best stuff I have ever used, put the rear end of my tractor back together with that and not one leak! So, in the last 6 weeks, I have bought and installed the following items for the '94 Micra - Front and rear springs, front brake pads, rear brake shoes, rear shocks, front struts, exhaust from just past the kat to the end, repaired the blower resistor card, new clutch cable, new throwout bearing, new clutch, new pressure plate, new cvc boots(outer) and last but not least a new/used tranny!

I am taking the car tomorrow to clean her up and then to the German TüV. Once finished I will pick the right time to give it to my daughter as a early Christmas present. She really needs a car and I hope this makes her life a little less complicated and I really hope she enjoys it!

Thanks again to everyone who gave me suggestions and information! I really do like this board, I am on several boards and this one is the most active that I have ever seen... Keep up all the good work and enjoy your cars.... I know I like this micra so much that I have actually thought about giving my daughter my Opel and keeping the Micra!

I am sure I will talk to you all very often.... again, thanks!

Buddha9007

Back