Reverse light broken

Hi all,

My reverse light stopped working so I got a new bulb, tested it in the indicator socket and the bulb works, but I can't get the reverse light to come on when I put the bulb in the bottom socket!! :glance: anyone got any ideas as to what might be wrong please?

Thanks

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
The bulb holdersare made up of 2 parts, try squeezing them together hard as they are quite poo and come apart, I failed MOT once cause all my lights didn't work as the holders where loose!

goldstar0011 said:
The bulb holdersare made up of 2 parts, try squeezing them together hard as they are quite poo and come apart, I failed MOT once cause all my lights didn't work as the holders where loose!

you know I think only the brake light (top one) is made up of two parts, and the indicator/reverse/fog lights are only one part, can anyone confirm this?

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
The whole bulb holder is made up of a back part with metal tracks for the bottom of the bulb to connect to and front which holds the bulbs and has the other connectyr for the pins. The front and back can come loose easily which only requires you to squeeze back together

James

Chairman
Is it also possible the switch in the gearbox for the reverse light is dodgy? I think that might be the case with mine

goldstar0011 said:
The whole bulb holder is made up of a back part with metal tracks for the bottom of the bulb to connect to and front which holds the bulbs and has the other connectyr for the pins. The front and back can come loose easily which only requires you to squeeze back together

I think I know what you mean, I'll have a go at that, ta.

James said:
Is it also possible the switch in the gearbox for the reverse light is dodgy? I think that might be the case with mine

that sounds hard to fix.....is it?

James

Chairman
Hah, don't let the camper fool you, i'm still learning ;)

I'm not entirely sure at the moment, I will consult my Haynes manual after work. Not even sure if that IS whats wrong with it, just a possibility.

i never thought of that one, good work. Let me know if you find anything!! I'm fed up of driving round blocks that i dont need to in order to avoid reversing with old bill in view!!

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
there might be a seperate fuse for the reverse lights, worth a check.

and you could try sanding the conections in case they are alittle rusty...

W

witty05

ive done alot of micras with the reverse light inop i found that the reverse light switch in the gearbox is faulty due to wear ive tried sanding the contacts but just works intermitant i think your best bet is to change it but its a dirty job unless u drain the gearbox first then its easy (unless u drop the contacts in the gearbox :( )

witty05 said:
ive done alot of micras with the reverse light inop i found that the reverse light switch in the gearbox is faulty due to wear ive tried sanding the contacts but just works intermitant i think your best bet is to change it but its a dirty job unless u drain the gearbox first then its easy (unless u drop the contacts in the gearbox :( )

good grief I'm *really* no where near capable of doing that....how much do you reckon a garage would charge me to do that?

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
It really isn't that hard to do, if you can change engine oil, then you can change gearbox oil, other than that it is just replacing the sender bit, not too hard at all TBH

BigBadBob

Ex. Club Member
most likely to be the switch in the gearbox.
Mine wore out - seems quite common, but fairly cheap to fix if i remember correctly

kev_mono72

Ex. Club Member
you could build the swtich up with solder, but would be better to replace it. As said before, the box needs to come out, drained, and taken apart to get the old switch out and the new one in. Best left to the pro's!
Best of luck!