tools for removing a gearbox

mullet

Ex. Club Member
so its off to the scrappys tomorrow mornign for a new gear box as the other one went bang
basicaly i need to know what tools i will need and sizes and any helpfull hints :D

cheers mullet :D

follow franks blog mate, thats what i do

i had bumper and radiator off, found it easier

14mm and 12mm socket and spanners, pateince, cut knuckles, swearing at your neighbours cat!

have you asked labour cost of local garage mate, might be easier?

not yet ill phone round some tomorrow but if i get the box my self it might be alot cheeper and the car cant really move atm lol

are any puller tools or sepperator tools needed?

there are a couple of dowels that locate the g/box to the engine, and the front dowel is usually rusted in very tight (and make sure there,s only 2 dowels in when you hump the g/box back on, else you,ll have to remove the g/box again to drift out the unwanted dowel lol :doh:)
and you,ll need a chisel or prybar to pop the shafts out, and shove some bit of broom handle where the shafts went (else the diff can fall out if you turn the input shaft :eek:)

take the bonnet off too alot easier, ! have a jack or something to catch the box as you really need to shake it off, get a strong big flat head screwdriver to help prise it off the block at the start aswell. And mind and watch out for al the dust in there, not good for the old lungs. :D

Back