What tools needed for valve clearence adjustment

Hi everybody,
Im from Holland and new on the forum, was hoping somebody could help me with this.
Yesterday i checked with a feeler gauge, and some valve adjustment is needed. So i want to change the shims to adjust the valve clearence.
On YouTube i did see somebody do that without removing the camshaft.
What is the best tools for doing the job. I think i do need some kind of tool to press down the shim (between camshaft and shim), and then another thing to hold the bucket down (between camshaft and bucket). At that point it is possible tot change the shims, maybe using a small magnet to get the shims out.

Any help is welcome,

What tools will do the job,
Thanks.
Thomas

Micra 1998 998cc 16 valve N-cvt LPG

Last edited:
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
I'm afraid i myself do not know, hopefully one of our more mechanically minded members will be able to help.

I just found out that you have to check with a hot engine ! there are different tolerances for hot and cold. Well worth to get a manual eg Haynes as it is explained very well. But you don't need special tools apart from a lever of some kind to hold the tappet down while you fiddle the shim out- then also best to measure the shim to be sure. I found new shims here https://www.autoersatzteile.de/niss...4112/10477/ventilfuhrung-dichtung-einstellung but I didn't ask for Nissan prices yet. And you have to be careful replacing the cam cover with the correct torque 3Nm. Havn't done it yet myself, but probably check them in the new year sometime as it seems the car missed a bit of TLC over the last few years

Back