tire sizes

Ok guys. Going to get a set of 4 tyres this week. Currently im running 165/60's atm but not alot of tyres available at this size. Much more available and for cheaper if I can go to a higher profile, could I run say 165/65s or even 165/70s? Whats the maximum profile that would fit? Car has not been lowered atall and no plans to do so in near future.

By incorrectly how much would the speedo be out with say 165s? As thats what im looking at. Not as drastic a jump as 70s but cheaper and more selection I.e can get what qualities/tyre specifics I want. These are winter tyres im buying btw they dont need to look sporty or be performance tyres.....thats for the summer tyres ill be buying next year...and therell be two sets on different rims :)

The wider they tyre the lower the profile has to be as the profile is a ratio of width. Just google will they fit and you can put what sizes you want in the calculators to tell you how much the difference is to the rolling radius.

Easiest way to calculate is original tyre size is for example 165/60x14 so
14" x 2.54 to give cm. 165x 60% gives you the profile size x 2 for top and bottom of profile add it to the wheel size and you have your "overall diameter" stick as close to this or you will have the following problems:
Rubbing/stoopid gap
Incorrect speedo reading
Affected gear ratios
Buy right=buy once

Oh yeah please note this is a guide as tyre manufactures dimensions will differ slightly but generally speaking you can't go too far wrong :cool:

Back