Timing chain snapped engine replacing question????

my timing chain snapped, can i replace the engine with a 1.3 ??or does it need a new gearbox too. thinking of trying the breakers yard today and see if they can fit an engine cheaply, otherwise i will look for another car

you can put a 1.3 in it but you need drive shafts and box. theres a 1ltr next door to me for sale £200. fsh,tax runs out the end of this month not sure on mot. all depends on what your car is like at the moment. would be alot easier to swap engine,box,shafts than to replace cam chain in my opinion.

my timing chain snapped, can i replace the engine with a 1.3 ??or does it need a new gearbox too. thinking of trying the breakers yard today and see if they can fit an engine cheaply, otherwise i will look for another car

how did you manage that? you might aswell put another engine in.

you can fit just the engine, if you want :)

its not rare for the chain to go. its usualy caused by the incorrect oil in the engine

i had actually just done an oil change, but the chain had been rattling a while.
I used 15/30 oil as is recomended in haynes manual, engine had done 97000 miles, after id drained the oil i started the engine for a few seconds to get the last remaining oil out as i heard you can do

regarding new engine : A guy is coming out next week to test my car, it lacks power a lot, the engine that went in had done 73,000 miles and my old one had done 97,000 and it had more power than this one. whats the lack of power caused by do you think ???

Could it be the engine is knackered, its ok when it gets going at say 30 plus miles an hour but theres no power there on setting off or if i had to pull out of a junction. any ideas anyone ??

Better to go 10w/40 or 15w/40 for the K11's :)

Edit: Don't ever start the engine without oil in it, argh! Just wait for it to drain out. That might have caused the snap.

Back