Timing chain snapped?

Hello folks i was wandering if you could help me please, just got a micra for my sister for when she passes her test. Keeping it nissan! i've got a sunny GTiR
I bought the 1L 16valve n reg as a non runner with a suspected timing chain snap. It spins over very freely. I opened the oil cap and the chain wasent moving, Also the plugs arent sparking ( i tried these first) Is it due to the camshaft not rotating there is no pick up for a sensor for a spark?
Is the engine a interference lump or would the valves be okay? it was at low speed it broke down on the guy (25 mph or so) if the valves are okay is it a pig of a job or should i just get another engine? Anything to look out for, on another 1L engine, changes around that period etc? Thanks very much!!

its a simple enough job to do, providing you know the engine,...

ifnot, its better to buy a runner than try and fix a non runner, you can get a running 1.0l engine for less than £70...

there are no sparks cuz the dizzy runs off one of the cams so if the chain doesnt move the cams it wont turn the dizzy either 1.0l engines are so cheap and plentifull i would just buy another or even a good runner of a car thats failed the mot due to rot then youve got spares aswell

where abouts are you located? i've got a spare 1.0 engine you can have for nothing if you can collect it. it was running when removed for a 1.3 conversion. about 80k on it i think.

The car was only £20 really clean car, working on it is no bother to me, just dont know what would be more cost effective a chain ( heard these are a nissan part only) Or another engine. Swiper very kind mate, but i'm mid scotland :doh: Thanks butta thats what i thought, just wanted to confirm the dizzy. Is the k11 a interfernce engine? or will the valves be unharmed!? If i do the chain, does the engine stay in the car, head need to come off? etc?

engine in car, chains off e-bay..... get a new engine..lol

ive just done a timing chain change on my 1300 super S and i can safely say its better to get a new engine...

plus yes they are interferance...

engine in car, chains off e-bay..... get a new engine..lol

ive just done a timing chain change on my 1300 super S and i can safely say its better to get a new engine...

plus yes they are interferance...

i agree with ant, it would be a lot easier and cheaper to get another engine.
you should be able to pick up a cg10 engine for loads less than it'd cost for a new timing chain kit, even from a scrap yard. you should only be paying around £50-£100 for a 1.0 engine as they are ten-a-penny, so to speak:)

Back