Timing belt

Help........Ok so after getting new shocks front and back and new brakes . Driving this morning oil light comes on car stalls never to start again breakdown tell me it's the timing belt. Any ideas if I should fix it or scrap it. Help

I've been checking around and it looks like a £500 job. Mot is only 2wks old.

Ouch! £500 commercial repair price plus £100 approximate scrap value what you can sell it for as it is, gives a total budget of £600 approximately. You can buy a newer good running K11 Micra with cam chain and long MOT for about that on Gumtree!

Ring around the local scrap yards to get the best bid cash prices (three) to pick it up, take it away. Ensure you get paid agreed price (cash) on collection pick up and have done with it in one go.

Notify DVLC of the change of ownership details in the normal way with the scrap yard trading name and address and that it’s sold for scrap disposal on the registration document.

That’s the most economical solution apart from a homer DIY repair at mate’s rates with no guarantees. ;)

Additional third solution to bent valves

Search for mobile mechanics in your area, (at least two) on social media/google. Search their trading name for adverse customer reviews/customer recommendations and ccjs on review sites.

Inform them that you want to become a long-term maintenance and repairs customer, increases the chances of getting a good job done.

Ask them to quote a fixed price to supply and fit good second-hand cylinder head, new gaskets and cam belt. (Approximate price £250 for cash). You pay your money and take your chances with this cheaper option, however you may consider it worthwhile?

Good luck!

Back