timing belt or chain?

B

bobdferret

hi

I am new to this forum and need a bot of advice please.

My better half yesterday bought herself a nissan micra shape, 98 reg, 998cc.

I went with her to collect it and the seller couldn't supply any real history with it and when i asked if timing belt had been changed (car mileage at 61,000) he said 'no'.

Checking up on the internet i'm now unsure if it has one, or has a timing chain. I have looked thro' the owners manual but can't find a thing and there's very little service history to go on. Can anyone help me out here?
Also if it is a chain (never owned a car with driving chain before!) is there any maintainance i need to be doing on it?

Cheers

mike

I love Ed!!!!
k11's have timing chains, they last the life of the engine. no maintainance can be done to it except changing the oil regularly

B

BenK11

The k11 has a timing chain mate, and I think it could be a self adjusting one, I'm not sure though, I've heard on a lot of K11s the timing chains rattle, including mine, I've also heard that they can break, but this is rare, they can be changed and if I remember correctly there is a diagnosis and changing procedure described on ciscos micra files, hope this helps, Ben (Y)

James

Chairman
K11s have a timing chain, which is designed to last the lifetime of the engine, and it is VERY rare to hear of one snapping, they just develop a rattle after some time.

They can be changed however, but they aren't too cheap IIRC.

Welcome to the club and enjoy your Micra! :)

James.

Edit: LMAO, there's 3 answers for you ;)

OP
OP
B

bobdferret

hi

Many thanks for your quick replies!

Looks like I've saved myself a bit of money!

cheers

Andrew

Club Member
I think in general, when they say lifetime of the engine, they mean that when the chain breaks, the lifetime of the engine is over. Same kind of thing with piston rings, bottom end bearings etc. Just too expensive and normally last long enough anyway.

James

Chairman
Andrew said:
I think in general, when they say lifetime of the engine, they mean that when the chain breaks, the lifetime of the engine is over. Same kind of thing with piston rings, bottom end bearings etc. Just too expensive and normally last long enough anyway.
Yeah, good point. But how many timing chains do you hear of snapping? I'm not denying it happens, it's just not entirely common :)

Although mine sounds like a bag of bolts :blush: I really need that new engine dropped in soon... *prods Ed* lol