I took my Nissan Micra to be serviced at the Main dealer (Reg Vardy Nissan
Leeds), as a warning light came on the dashboard. - Engine warning light
(malfunction light) is on permanently on the dashboard, not flashing. The
light is orange coloured. It starts up and sounds like a diesel, lots of
black smoke comes out of the exhaust and I have to give it a lot of gas for
about 5 minutes before driving. Once driving, it is relatively ok After
warmed up, you wouldn't even guess that there was a problem with it. Maybe a
bit slow/lack of power on steep gradients, but apart from that, after 20
minutes of driving it ticks over nicely.

They charged me about £500 to service it (week before Christmas - brakes,
disks, pads, etc) and did not even diagnose the fault. The fault is still
there (malfunction light still on). Before you say I know I over paid for the service, brake parts and labour but it was convenient at the time.

Nissan took it back and charged me the best part of £100 to tell me what I
initially wanted to know in the first instance:

Nissan say it is the Timing Belt/chain: - Diagnosis by another garage (£35)
said it 'could' be this, but that it also might be a sensor, not the belt
(cam).

I have ploughed money into this 'fairly new' car, it is only 3+ years old
and only has 29k on the clock and I do not want to pay any more money for it as I always planned to part-ex it in the new year in any case.

ADDITIONAL FAULT:
It already doesn't start in the summer - when left in baking hot sunshine
for more than half an hour and I have been stranded loads of times. Nissan
say the ignition block needs to be replaced to the tune of £350 and a weeks
car rental!

Back to the Malfunction light - Nissan wanted to charge me initially £1200
to fix the problem and then rang me back a few hours later - dropping the
price to £850 (said it should be at least £900, but as I'd already spent
£600 with them, they dropped it to £850).

How do I turn off the light? I have NO intention of paying this money to
Nissan or any other garage when my plan was always to sell this car.

I will not sell it to a private buyer, just want to part-ex it to a Garage -
sold as seen.

Does anyone know how I can switch this engine light off? Technically or
physically?

Many thanks,
Stressed and Ripped off!

Hello! I've moved your post to the K12 section.

Good luck getting your problem sorted!!

take it to a garage with a code reader they will tell you what it is and cost bout 35 quid ish depending on garage but either way is cheaper than nissan but i do not know how a timing belt/chain would put on the mal light though ive not come across that its normally sensors also forgot to say the code reader can turn off the light but it will most likely come up again since its a genuine fault other way to get rid of light is rip out the bulb if it uses bulbs

Could be a timing sensor (TDC Or Cam/Crank shaft sensor) thats flinging up a fault code and putting the light on - common on the renaults

sounds to me that your timing chain has stretched,

to help you a little (save money) post your service history as you might be able to get a goodwill claim from nissan which means nissan might pay a certain amount say 50% labour and parts etc but its different for everyone

basically post up the dates and mileages and what services have carried out p1, p2 or p3

it should go p1, p2, p1, p3, p1, p2, p1, p3. in that order for the service types

and post the mileages and dates when the servicing had been done ( in the service book where it gets stamped)

also the starting problem, does you car have an i-key key or normal type key?

oh man im sorry to hear about your problems. your best bet would be to part exchange the car, get something more reliable as renault has definitely ruin the reliable appeal of Nissan.

or shop around for the best quote :glare:

Hi

Thanks to everyone who has replyed, i think i will write a letter to REG Vardy just incase they sympathsise adn will help me.

Does anyone know hoe to remove the bulb? Do I have to look in the fuse box under the bonnet?

Thanks DB

if it does use lil bulbs it b in dash but thats a IF i dont know much bout the k12 but on k11s u have to remove the clocks n the bulb thingys r in the back they not exactly bulbs mayb leds or something but lights anyway lol

same thing happened to my k12 it was the crank sensor took them like 3 months to work it out .it was replaced and all was fixed for the time being had neumerous problems since but nothing as bad since then.it first started when i was on the endinbrough zoo hill to go in to the enterance i was stupidly balancing the clutch rather than using the hand break i know for next time tho has the same happened to you?cheers. also my car did the same not start on hot days and when it did the smoke was really bad would recomend getting your sensor changed ,sounds too familiure (sorry about spelling as i cant spell to save my life)get it checked out .lucky i was still in warranty

Hi,

Seems I've got the same problem - ECU light came on - took it to a main Nissan garage who said it's the timing chain. 1.2 S, 25K miles, 4 years old - I refused to believe it. Took it to a local independent who replaced cam & crank sensors (another fault with the Micra I've read). The ECU light is back on. Resigned to the fact it's probably the timing chain, but I refuse to give Nissan any of my money for a problem they've created.

Can anyone recommend decent, reliable (cheap-ish?) North London garage/mechanic who can change the timing chain?

So so annoyed with Nissan at the moment.

Thanks in advance
Matt

I took my Nissan Micra to be serviced at the Main dealer (Reg Vardy Nissan Leeds), as a warning light came on the dashboard.

There's your mistake - never trust Reg Vardy with anything, the same goes for CD Bramalls. Had nightmares with both including the Reg Vardy in Leeds.

dont trust reg vardy full stop !still waiting for my rear wiper motor that they said they would have a year ago!!!!!! (now evans halshaw sunderland)

Good independent garage - North West?

Hi,

Looks like I may have the dreaded stretched chain! Can someone please recommend an good independent garage with experience of doing this work. I’m in Manchester but anywhere in the North West would do?

Many thanks in advance.

Craig

my engine management light was on constantly. I had issues with the car reving low, engine kicking out on me. Took it to a local garage as nissan charge lots. Local garage guy replaced, the cam sessor. Took the car home, drove it up north and back to luton, no issues. The next day. The day did not even wish to start. I tried and tried. no luck

Called the garage, he came round tried for a long time to start it, he told me to drive the car to the garage and he will look at it tomorrow. Phoned him today and he says he does not know what the issue is, I asked him about the timing chain, he said he has checked it and it is fine.... however when he started it outside our home, i noticed smoke from the engine or near the engine, black smoke and he revved the car hard, he was informed of this....

Now I do nto know what the issue coudl be..... My service history is bad. I had the second service doen at 35 k miles, first was at 6 k when I bought the car... i know it is bad but as a student i was strapped for cash and still am.

any advise?

oh also, before i gave the car to the garage. I used to find it stalling when I cae to a stationary point. i.e. traffic lights, sometimes I noticed loss of power even whilst in motion for a short time. I came across the bba website ( i believe that is th ename of the firm) and they have reconditioned throttle bodies for the k12 model. I believe based on their analysis on the symptoms, this coudl be the issue as my timing chain is okay, what do you guys think?

Hi,

Seems I've got the same problem - ECU light came on - took it to a main Nissan garage who said it's the timing chain. 1.2 S, 25K miles, 4 years old - I refused to believe it. Took it to a local independent who replaced cam & crank sensors (another fault with the Micra I've read). The ECU light is back on. Resigned to the fact it's probably the timing chain, but I refuse to give Nissan any of my money for a problem they've created.

Can anyone recommend decent, reliable (cheap-ish?) North London garage/mechanic who can change the timing chain?

So so annoyed with Nissan at the moment.

Thanks in advance
Matt

hold on! how is it nissans fault the chain is stretched?
the chain only stretch's if the car hasnt been serviced at the manufacturers specific times and milages a good tell tale sign is by taking out the oil filler cap and looking at the inlet cam pully if its anywhere from brown to really dark brown then its not been serviced right

to check the chain you look at how far out the chain tension piston is, if its 10 or more mm then the chain is fubard

I specifically don't agree with the above. Its clearly a design fault if this cam chain stretch is the problem it seems to be.

Look at all the CG,CGA,GA,SR based cam chain engines. NONE ever have a problem like the K12 is getting, regarless of how well or bad its been looked after. Personally I think its disgraceful, never have we had a problem here with the earlier generation of Micras (or in fact any Nissans) The difference is so clear cut its beyond a joke. Yet so many K12 owners here are being quoted totally ridiculous quotes to fix something that should have never gone wrong in the first place.

Hi,

Can get it done for you by a nissan trained tec. parts and labour for £450, that will include new oil filter and oil also

Back