timing belt tension spring

hi everyone, new here wonder if you could help I got a k reg nissan micra just put a new waterpump on it then started puttin everythin back together
cant seem to get the timing tensioner spring on proper a set it up like I thought it was
but the tensioner keeps flickin the spring off where it sits in the little fiddley bit on the tensioner it doesnt look long enough but it isnt broke either I know the tensioner its self sits on a little locatin peg but its like the spring isnt tensionin it have got the spring sitting over the dowel thats got a cutaway in it (dunno why) like its been drilled out or something? the long bit of the spring goes down at an angle and sits on top of a lug. the small bit at the other end goes up to the roller tensioner and supposed to fit on the bit that sits underneath.with what looks like a little indent for the spring to sit in. but its not tensionin the belt then when a push slightly on the tensioner itself the spring jumps off anyone any ideas thanks..pete

I think you are fitting everything in the correct position but if i remember correctly you will have to wind the spring through one revolution before locating it so that there is tension on it.

The spring tensioner is a real pain on a K10 Don't rotate the spring at all just locate it on the bottom spring holder then slide the top onto the pin.

You will have to loosen the tensioner down first but make sure it doesn't move so the spring will slip off.

i did this the other day so i could help you if your not too far away....if not ill take some photos out of the haynes manual!

Back