This is what happens when you act the idiot

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Scary stuff lads, I think its cage time for me. . .

DSC00738.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

DSC00740.jpg

DSC00741.jpg

DSC00742.jpg

DSC00743.jpg

DSC00744.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

DSC00746.jpg

DSC00747.jpg

I dont think even a cage would help. What was that 70mph plus into a post?

If it was a proper cage I imagine it would increase you chances off surviving a crash at that speed.I'm not sure its on a maylaysian site.

A 10 point weld in cage would create a saftey cell for the occupants but the forces involved would likely kill you anyway, the human body isn't designed to be thrown around like that, the car wouldn't deform but your organs would be turned to liquid

A 10 point weld in cage would create a saftey cell for the occupants but the forces involved would likely kill you anyway, the human body isn't designed to be thrown around like that, the car wouldn't deform but your organs would be turned to liquid

Ok thanks for that(Y)

Your chances of survival would be increased with a full cage, and bucket seats with 5 point harnesses, and even then it's not 100% you'll be surviving.

I don't see the need for cages for road use, unless you drive like you're going to need one.

Im not saying dont get a cage, your accident might not be as bad as that one, might as well give yourself every chance you can. But if you do fit a cage also fit a fire extinguisher system. It'd suck being trapped inside your shiney new cage as your vehicle burns.

I want to get one of the complete ones that includes the bars that go under the steering column so your legs don't get crushed.

I think having one on the road won't hurt, if a lorry was to tip onto me, Id rather have the cage. Get an external cage and it'll protect all the expensive panels too :p

I think having one on the road won't hurt, if a lorry was to tip onto me, Id rather have the cage.

As long as it's suitably fitted and clears your head in ALL positions that you could possibly be with the harness fully fitted, or is padded and you have a seat that wraps around to protect the head.

Otherwise a minor accident at a junction can become pretty serious when your head bounces off the steel cage.

Yeah, padding is a must, I hit my head on my friends show cage everytime I get in his car.

I never understood showcages, if your insurance is going to go up, might as well make the car safer.

In my experience, its not always gotta be you that drives sensibly. I was an idiot when i first passed my test and if i had slid my car just a few seconds later i could have killed the people in the oncoming car.
You never know whos on the roads when you are.

But by that argument, every road car should have a full roll cage, with 6 point harnesses and full bucket seats, with automatic fire exitinguishers, just to be safe incase the guy around the corner hits you.

But by that argument, every road car should have a full roll cage, with 6 point harnesses and full bucket seats, with automatic fire exitinguishers, just to be safe incase the guy around the corner hits you.

Yeah they should, in fact they are building cars with cages in. You can't see them but they are making the passenger spaces much stronger.

Problem with this is when a new car hits an old one the occupants in the old car almost always die.

Anyway the cage also works to stiffen the car

I was doing photography work experience with a local newspaper a couple of months ago, and our first job was to take shots of a crash site, but all that was left was glass and a lot of blood smeared all over the road. A Metro with 4 young girls in crashed head on into a Ford Ranger pickup on quite a fast road (at night - you'd have thought they'd have seen each other). You can guess the rest, but the Ranger probably wasn't written off and the Metro driver died instantly.

Nice little story, that :(

Tom

Topgear on "Dave" was going on about crash safety. Basically if your car is older than about ten years, you are screwed!
I would defo' put in a cage... I REAL ONE.
I reckon a Show cage would end up buckled and wrapped around your neck in a crash, not to mention the fact that they look retarded, like neon washer jets and M3 mirrors... leave it to the MAX POWER boys.

Topgear on "Dave" was going on about crash safety. Basically if your car is older than about ten years, you are screwed!
I would defo' put in a cage... I REAL ONE.
I reckon a Show cage would end up buckled and wrapped around your neck in a crash, not to mention the fact that they look retarded, like neon washer jets and M3 mirrors... leave it to the MAX POWER boys.

Exactly it 20 years old this year, it aint a show car it gets no mercy on track so a proper cage would be essential,this "adding weight to a road car" crap would not deter me

Because I use the car on track also would be the reason to fit the cage, I'm 26 years old the boy racer days are gone

That's a legitimate reason to fit a cage to a car, but just for road use, it's over the top, unless you drive faster than your ability/the car's ability.

a proper cage would be essential,this "adding weight to a road car" crap would not deter me

I did say "when not needed", if you're taking it to a track, or racing it, then a cage is essential for safety.

There are some new cars being built with cage like structures hidden behind all the panels, but they're not the same strength and size as an FIA Approved cage.

I did say "when not needed", if you're taking it to a track, or racing it, then a cage is essential for safety.

There are some new cars being built with cage like structures hidden behind all the panels, but they're not the same strength and size as an FIA Approved cage.

Ok dude

Nasty!

I'd also like to point out that by adding a cage it means that if you are in an accident where your car rolls the car will roll about another 3 times with a cage in it...causing more damage to others. I had a friend with datsun 1600 that hit a curb sideways, he flipped onto a pulsar then into land rover. He was told he would have stopped at the pulsar and the land rover would have been untouched if he didnt have the cage..said friend may have died instead of just breaking his spine but even so...he was the one driving irresponsibly, not the land rover or pulsar.

Back