Idiot Brother in Law ruined my Micra.

Well as the micra was my 3rd car and my brother in law was in need of some wheels, it did the nice thing and leant him the car. All was fine untill a few weeks ago when he ran out of fuel, like an idiot. Anyway since then the car randomly cuts out, he leaves it stranded for a few hours and when he goes back it starts again. Now I had a problem before when I had the car where after a while of driving it would stall and die under load, so I replaced all the injectors and all was cured. Now he says it doesn't die under load, just tend to die all by itself with no help. His mechanic didnt really know what it could be (not much of a mechanic by the sounds of things), but took a wild stab at a dodgy distributer. He has now jetted off to korea and the car is back in my posession, with a new distributer (not installed).

So do you thing this will be the answer to the problem? Just seems too coincidental that the dizzy failed at the same time as the car being run dry of fuel.

Something tell me its fuel related (no idea why)

ohh it's an M Reg 1.3 manual

yeah i also think the fuel problem....my dad gave me a right #######ing once because i let the petrol go sooo flat the car struggled to start next day and he basically gave me the 3rd degree that it prob sucked up all the #### from the bottom and is no good for the car, luckily its usually an easy fix but one thats easily avoided - dont run on empty lol.

nah, its just another myth fwn
the pickup pipe is fixed near the bottom of the tank anyway, so if there,s any sh## at the bottom of the tank it,ll be hovering around the pickup pipe area whether the tank is full or empty

Cheers I have a fuel filter for it already as forgot to change it when i last serviced the car. Will do that the weekend (if not too cold)

could be the common throttle body dry solder problem, much more likely to break in the cold too, so worth looking into

nah, its just another myth fwn
the pickup pipe is fixed near the bottom of the tank anyway, so if there,s any sh## at the bottom of the tank it,ll be hovering around the pickup pipe area whether the tank is full or empty

true
and filter is very good,wont let any durt through-MYTH BUSTED,like the one about "dont start your car 5mins after turning it off" i've done this hundreds of times with out problem

well its not the filter. anyway been testing and 3 out of 4 times just before the temp needle reaches the middle she just dies. i guess its when the choke switches off or its when the distributer warms up?

id rather try and work our whats wrong rather then guess. does the fault sound like it could be the distrubuter?
surely its worth just changing the filter as frank says, its a 5 min job and could be the problem (Y)
let us know how you get on once its changed... i wouldnt call is guessing, its more a process of elimination, and as you have already got the filter you may as well eliminate that as the problem before you start messing around with the dizzy or tb which are bigger jobs. and who knows, might just solve it (id put my money on it being fuel related too)

surely its worth just changing the filter as frank says, its a 5 min job and could be the problem (Y)
let us know how you get on once its changed... i wouldnt call is guessing, its more a process of elimination, and as you have already got the filter you may as well eliminate that as the problem before you start messing around with the dizzy or tb which are bigger jobs. and who knows, might just solve it (id put my money on it being fuel related too)

sorry forgot to say I did change the filter today and made no difference. Hope it snot the injectors as has them replace 12 months ago with a very similar problem

true
and filter is very good,wont let any durt through-MYTH BUSTED,like the one about "dont start your car 5mins after turning it off" i've done this hundreds of times with out problem

Wait what, i hope you know that i turn my micra on and off quite alot within a 5 minute window sometimes? :p hahaha.

sorry forgot to say I did change the filter today and made no difference. Hope it snot the injectors as has them replace 12 months ago with a very similar problem
very odd, dont see how the injectors could get blocked up if the origenal filter was doing its job? so maybe changing the filter and cleaning/changing the injectors will solve the problem. did you check the state of the old filter when you changed it?

Wait what, i hope you know that i turn my micra on and off quite alot within a 5 minute window sometimes? :p hahaha.
Lets keep this thread on track eh...

he changed the filter for one of those £3 inline jobbies, so i replaced it with a proper micra one yeaterday. Just seems weird that the problem happens pretty much as the car reaches normal operating tempurature. from cold it fine starts on the button, but when it gets to operating temp she just dies. she then fires up but dies again, then wont fire up at all just turns over and never catches. leave for a few mins and she fires up again.

ps I cant chenge the distributor yet as its not arrived and i suspect he said it was ordered when it wasnt. the car isnt worth more than £500 so i dont really want to be forking out on several possibles when i can jut go for the most likely

but wouldnt he symptoms of the throttle body be more random? just when i had the injector problems last year every screamed throttle body and it wasnt

ps I cant chenge the distributor yet as its not arrived and i suspect he said it was ordered when it wasnt. the car isnt worth more than £500 so i dont really want to be forking out on several possibles when i can jut go for the most likely

Solder is normally very cheap :p

but wouldnt he symptoms of the throttle body be more random? just when i had the injector problems last year every screamed throttle body and it wasnt
I wouldn't know i have never had it but it could be worth a look to see if it's still in shape.

throttlebody faults tend to make it run rough/missfire, but not conk out, and i cant believe that all 4 injectors are gonna fail together fwn
but the "cutout when hot" is very common dizzy fault tho

ok well i'm gonna whip out the trottle and have a look
Cool hope you get it sorted.
popcorn.gif

true

Actually it will flood the engine turning it on and off every 5 mins, rx7/rx8 are utter #######s for it
Back on subject the solder joints up close will have a hairline crack it will be circular and look sort of White not massively noticeable until you look really close or use magnifying glass

Lets keep this thread on track eh...

Aye aye skippa,

Hmm injectors, i know that mine was getting very, jumpy/stally at one point, this is when i decided to run some injector cleaner redex through and my revs picked up a bit (like you generally when the car is warm it'd fail pretty bad.) That worked for a bit but after some further maintenance, checking air filter, swapping oil filter etc, its picked up even more.

I can't really say what it is only throw some suggestions, maybe turn the idle control screw? When your cars at operating temperature does the dashboard show it centered or what? Are all your fluids topped up nicely?

*Mind spam :')*

ok now have a replacement dizzy, well have 2 now as i thought brother in law didnt get one so ordered another and both came on the same day. will be changing it if i dont have to dig the car out of the snow on sat

Back