Think I've tracked down the clunking noise, but what's this bit called...

Did a search on here first to see what others had experienced, as I was getting a clunking noise from the rear. I tried taking of the ARB control arms, then I took out the shocks, which was hilarious to drive, but still 'clunked'.

Took out the springs and wiggled the rear axle around to see if I could track it down... this arm on the passenger side was making a noise and you could feel the knocking when you held the arm.

this bit...
2012-09-22-183811_zps80144e3b.jpg

please excuse my ignorance - but what are these bushes called and are they easy to replace?

With all the suspension out - I couldn't help but have a play...
2012-09-22-141321_zps2cf27064.jpg

Plan to fit these too if I can track down some cheap 165/50/15's...
2012-09-21-123245_zpsd4b5091d.jpg

They are your lower trailing arm bushes, not too hard to replace with a saw & a vice!

Though if the bolts rotten to the bush you might need to get a grinder onto it as well

aye, the front concentric bushes slide out easy if you lube them, the the rear offset bushes have a steel shell around them, expect the bolts to put up a fight :)

bushes.JPG

what technique to drive them out frank? the rears steel shell ones
if they are shot i would drive a spike down the side zed, to kink the shell inwards (near the air gap) but i need to re-use them, and i slit the arm, then re-welded the slit :)

its this type of attitude that got you somewhere in hill valley today :)
well and truly stuk then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I've had a look on ebay etc. but can't find anything that looks like the bushes in Frank's post.

Are they available from Nissan!?

Sorry, I knew it was probably a stupid question o_O

`just need to find a scrap yard near me - near Watford - anyone know of any?

Found a local scrappy with 2 Micra's, tried to get the lower arms of both of them, but the bolts were well and truelly stuck - I ended up destroying the bushes on both. However, I did manage to get the upper ones off without too much trouble.

I set about taking the upper n/s arm off, the rear bolt undid like a dream, but the front one had rusted solid, I ended burning/twisting the arm off and then used a vice to clamp the sleeve and it eventually gave way! I'm hoping this was the fault, but I haven't tried 'spinning' the other trailing arm bolts to see if they've seized too...

Any tips for removing the other bolts (if they're stuck), especially as I had to pry apart the mounting bracket to get the arm off the bolt!?

1 of mine put up a fight, and only when i ground a bit of the sleeve away and sprayed releasing oil into the gap a few times did it let go

PA080142.JPG

Cheers Frank, that should work - I didn't have an angle grinder at the time, but I could get all 'medieval' with a file I guess!?

I noticed the bolts are slightly different - the rear one seems to the same diameter all the way through, but the fronts are stepped (wider at the bolt head end) - any reason for this? And last question, any idea where I could get replacement bolts?

Thanks again.

could also try this

here's the bush layout

34807330.jpg

remove the nut and then grind both ends of the bolt shaft off till its flush with the chassis flange

99984681.jpg

pry the chassis flange apart slightly so the bushing assembly can be slipped off

92547958.jpg

wirebrush clean the exposed bolt shaft,
secure a socket on a vice that fits over the bolt shaft against the bush metal insert,
hammer the bolt shaft through the insert

94973198.jpg

yes that works, but couple of mine wernt budging after that so had to pillar drill through them

and im sure the bolts are the same as the suspestion to hub (2) bolts

This is what old one looked like...
P1012197_zps751b8a93.jpg

Seems to have done the trick, so might get away with not changing the lower arms.

Thanks again for all your help - very much appreciated - I can now fit those Clio wheels now...

Back