the story begins......

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
page 2. https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/87270&r=57

Ok, so as some of you know i picked up a k11 lx.

now this thing is rough! found it at a wreckers where it had sat for 2 years. (1 year at wreckers, 1 at the previous owners)but first the back story........

i was told by a wrecker, who shall remain nameless, that they had a 3 door micra in almost complete just missing a pair of wheels. so i packed up my tools saturday morning and headed down. i paid the 2 dollar entry, and went to find the car.

complete? my arse! had a bonnet engine gear box and both bumpers. thats about it! so disgruntled i left and decided to pop in to see my parents down the mornington peninsula. i suddenly remembered a wreckers as i drove past it, thought "hey i got nothing to lose" and drove in. straight inside the gate was this.

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
after some swift and firm batering with the old boy, i shot of to get a trailer. i returned to the wreckers and asked if he had a jump pack to see if we could start it.

i checked oil coolant etc, it was old and minging but there.

first turn of the key, after 1 engine turn, she fires up. ran a bit rough and the timing chain was noisy but she lives! gave it a quick scoot around the yard and apart from some brake seizing it was fine.

wasnt really bothered about the mechanicals at this stage.

so i got it on the trailer and got it back to my parents.

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
any way. after a quick bite to eat i got it back to my place up the westernport. unloaded it into by garage and took the trailer back down.

upon returning home later that afternoon, i decided to tear into the thing and see if i could clean it up. the woman that had it before me must have been a filthy creature, there where half drank bottles of stuff, food scraps left in paper bags, the pill, tampons and all sorts.
including a big ass huntsman in the boot!

i took the whole interior out, carpet trims everything. gave it all a massive jet wash and left it all to dry.

once inside of the car was dry i sprayed some sound deadener on the floor of the micra. no idea why but for 20 bucks for 2 cans lets see what happens.

took the front bumper off to find a small bit of rust on the front crossmember. this was ground out (it was only surface paint rust) and resprayed with matt black anti rust paint.

i think the front bumper is a little beyond repair so im actively looking for another.

anyway thats how it sits today, ive ordered a few little parts and what not, then i can put the interior back together on saturday, my detailer mate is coming over saturday to see if we can get some life back in the paint. the roof may be too far gone though. i have an abundance of liquid wrap (aussie plasti dip) so ill be using that on the roof bonnet and bumpers as a temporary fix.

ill update with some more pictures tomorrow.

if anyone in the south east want to come and give me a hand fixing anything up or just hang out and talk about the micras let me know! im quite active with the skylines club and have a few guys who get together to do car work, but would love someone who knows a bout the k11 and specifically the cg13!

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
i found out that my window has come of the runner last night.

the stud on the winding mechanism has come out of the the little white retainer on the window rail. any tips to get it back in? i tried pressing it together but not a chance thats happening!

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
i looked for signs of accident damage respray etc.... nothing!? i thought it was slightly weird being a different colour. but whoever did spray it did a great job.

personally i like the turquoise more too!

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
yea but yours looks cool as hell man. im getting some very questionable comments from my skyline guys.

why am i selling 230kw plus hsv for 55kw micra etc etc.

family think im nuts.

i love it!

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
It's not a respray job all the jade green micras came out with the engine bay paint in a light shade of green (it's not Turquoise, probably to save money on the metallic paint). My Micra was exactly the same.

So whats the plans performance wise?

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
thats good to hear!

just suspension at the mo mate. waiting on word from a guy's mate who has plenty of parts.

then when its on the road, my fabricator and i wanna chuck a singe gtr turbo on it, injectors, 2.5 inch exhaust, emanage and get trent up at chequered to tune it. this may take a while tho.

im looking for any and evry part available at the mo, but im not having much luck!

im gonna stick to basic engine mods for now, cai, and maybe some extractors if i can find second hand cheap enough, smash out the first cat.

think i need to do the timing chain, any body have a lead on a cheap full kit? engine has 300k on it so i doubt its got much life left in it!

CMF_royale

» CMF Member
Hey Plattsyyyy I've got a mate on facebook former mod of this website (or may still be, not sure) he had a turbo Micra S as well as a couple of engine blow ups. He specifically used an emanage also. You should talk to him if you're planning on going down the forced route. He's probably had as many headaches as you can get.

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
will do mate! like i said turbo route wont be for a while unless i find some super cheap gear....

just wanna concentrate on handling and roadworthy....

you should bring your turquoise beast down to my place mate....

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
so in the last two hours, ive aquired....

33gtr fuel pump: 30 bucks
cast iron turbo manifold: 100 bucks
intercooler, although this is just to measure up. will use a standard side mount from a skyline.
33 gtr turbo: carton of beer.

3/5ths the way there....

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
its starting to come together now.... waiting on iso adapter for stereo, (not a fan of cutting looms) wiring kit for sub, and door hinges.

interior will then be put back toghter and the suspension strip can start... may wait out on this until i have a thumbs up on parts.

still need everything, coilies, pan rod, roll bars etc.

but the wheels can come off, brakes can be serviced and pulsar callipers installed in the mean time. also need to install new cv boot on drivers side. should be fun.

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
replacement boots don't last long, driveshafts can be got for as little as $100 each, tell the bloke at the shop "cash, no receipt needed" and you can usually get a good price, do both and driveshaft seals and fresh oil, saves going back later I reckon

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
yea ive picked up a replcement drive shaft locally for 85 bucks. ill have a crack at installing it tonight.

nfi what im doing tho. should be fun. and my haynes manual doesnt get here from the uk until sunday!

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
ok. so door hinges are still needed, got a couple of my nissan mates searching the dealers for some.

also..... anybody got a spare upper tensioner for the timing chain?

mine looks like this.

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
sweet jesus frank!! hahah thats terrible!

your the man when it comes to micras.... would this be causing the timing chain noise? i cant get to much of the bottom chain, but it seems pretty tight, the top one had a bit of slack between the two cam gears before i took this off.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
a new tensioner will help a bit mate, but the wear will be in the chains really.
how many degree,s of slack on the crank pully if you hold a cam still with a spanner ? (use some force on the crank pulley to retract the lower tensioner, and 20 ish deg is normal)

CMF_royale

» CMF Member
plattsy WROTE:

"yea ive picked up a replcement drive shaft locally for 85 bucks. ill have a crack at installing it tonight.

nfi what im doing tho. should be fun. and my haynes manual doesnt get here from the uk until sunday!

I'm all for supporting Haynes but im pretty sure the manual is available online for download! I can't link it because i'm at work at the moment but a google search should turn it up.

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"a new tensioner will help a bit mate, but the wear will be in the chains really.

how many degree,s of slack on the crank pully if you hold a cam still with a spanner ? (use some force on the crank pulley to retract the lower tensioner, and 20 ish deg is normal)

no idea frank, havent got that far into it, just removed cam cover and top plate. mount is still connected. no idea what im doing with this engine! hahaha.

royale WROTE:

"

plattsy WROTE:

"yea ive picked up a replcement drive shaft locally for 85 bucks. ill have a crack at installing it tonight.

nfi what im doing tho. should be fun. and my haynes manual doesnt get here from the uk until sunday!"</div>

I'm all for supporting Haynes but im pretty sure the manual is available online for download! I can't link it because i'm at work at the moment but a google search should turn it up.

will have a goose, just need the drive shaft removal instructions....

also, any body want a cv boot? bought from autobarn for 15 bucks. tenner and its yours.

infact i might just take it back....

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
haynes tells you to remove the balljoint and trackrod etc plattsy (usually a right mission to do !), i remove the 2 bolts from the hub and pull the cv out of the hub instead, on full lock.
and just lift the door to cure the hinge drop :)

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Drain the gearbox before you pull the driveshaft, I thought I'd skip this step and ended up with the oil all over the workshop floor! My father was not happy with me.

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
hahahaha. good point there! i was gonna just jack up one side, hoping to keep it in, prob needs a change any way. no idea when it would have been done last!

oh well i have tonight, tomorrow night and saturday morning to get it done. no great rush... can pull it tonight... drain box etc. ger box oil will have to wait until next weekend...

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
Nice work mate. One suggestion - go with marine quality stretch vinyl for the interior parts you want black because paint will flake. I even used vinyl dye spray paint but it scratched when anything sharp touched it.

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
Thanks Logan! I got some vinyl enamel for the plastics, looks average but it will do for now!

Mate didn't turn up with the 30mm socket so couldn't do the shaft tonight, mangled to egg the wiring kit for the amp installed and he rest of the interior back in tho....

Once the shaft is done its onto brakes! Yey!

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
test fitted the front rims tonight. 205 advans are waaaaaay to wide. need some 185 55 15's.

will leave on em for now, gonna roll (heat up and bash with rubber mallett) my arches tonight.

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
Indeed I would if I was selling it, i got it from the sticker thread so assumed it was fair game.

Fitted the drive shaft tonight and filled the gb with null. Sae 80.

That drain plug WAS a butch to get out!

CMF_plattsy

» CMF Member
door hinges fixed with franks wood method! hahaha.

rear end of the car is so easy to push down, and its making a terrible creaking noise! soon as i get a chance ill pull all the rear suspension and stuff out, get replacing bushes and what not.

sold the 13's yesterday. picking up some 185 60 15's to go on the 15x7 et30's... hopefully should have plenty of clearance when its dropped.

plastidipped the super s bumper i got yesterday, the grill and the fadded bonnet, looks good, if a little drift spec. will get some pics when engine is back together and the bonnet is on. next job is change over of front brakes, to the n14 1.6 calipers. ive read conflicting reports that i need a 1mm washer on the caliper retaining bolts. can anyone confirm this? i have looked on here, some say yay, others nay.

now in need of some super s fogs and and tow hook cover if anybody has them. no rush.

still after an upper chain tensioner as well. but will just use mine again if i need too.

also the iron manifold from ebay and gtr turbo turned up... flange holes on the manifold need to be made a little bigger to accommodate the turbo, but it looks like it should be a good fit. its can sit at the back of the garage, until its needed!

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
I priced up timing chains and tensioners at nissan yesterday. Unfortunately they no longer do a full kit, you have to buy the individual parts. Chains are roughly $120 each and tensioners roughly $90-100 each. Around $400 for the lot.

Back