The smoking ban

So has anyone actually been to a pub since the ban??? I think i one of the few smokers whos looking forward to drinking in a smoke free enviroment, its really gonna help me to quit smoking. :laugh:

yeah ive been hundreds of times since the ban (in northern ireland anyway)

only thing is the company often splits + conversations come to a halt whilst the smokers (majority of the groups in most cases) go outside for a smoke and leave 1or 2 people in the bar.

and there is the problem that, for example your playin the machines and some old guy comes up and stands beside you smelling like he has just DO NOT EVADE THE SWEAR FILTER ANYMORE himself a while previous..... then you have the B.O. , farts general stale beer smell etc etc.

and the bars always cold cause the front and the back doors are open.

but yes the majority smoke less

on the plus you have ''smurting'' (smoke/flurting)

Know exactly what you mean dude. I was out last night knowing it was the last time I could be smoking in the clubs.

I'm really looking forward to it. I'm only a casual smoker myself, but should make things easier.

Can't wait to go in to a smoke free pub :)

not yet but im planning to tonight, thing is i know a couple of guys in blackburn that own a smoking bar (smoke shesa etc) they have had to close :( lots of ppl are going to loose alot of business i think

have to agree with kev and nis. as for business going bottoms up. you ferget there has been people that have ingnored the pub because of the smoke atmosphere that is no longer.

not yet but im planning to tonight, thing is i know a couple of guys in blackburn that own a smoking bar (smoke shesa etc) they have had to close :( lots of ppl are going to loose alot of business i think

tbh the ban doesnt really effect me at all, i used to as courtesy to others, smoke outside and the manchester Sheesha Bars are now members only but i have my own Shesha at home and just stock up on flavours (nice for Chicken Poker Night)...

but some of my friends who go out alot, are moaning like crazy and feel they'll be forced into quitting... which i say is a good thing...

Like i say more positives then negatives tbh...

I'll be interested in going to the pub quiz at "The Broadway" next wednesday, since its a really chavvy pub where almost everyone smokes. Good quiz tho. I wonder if there will be anyone there!

I dont think it'll change the nightlife in Bournemouth one bit though, people dont go to Bournemouth to smoke as much as drink and dance. I expect there will be more skirmishes on the streets though.

well im all for the ban but, 20 fags is say £5 about £4 of that goes to the goverment (as with petrol about 70p is tax!) so the ban will obviously make people wanna quit, so the goverment will be looksing millions (if not billions) a year in revenue (you know what they say, if the whole country stopped smoking & driving, the economy would criple within days (i think thats it))

so what im sayin is, the goverment will want the money back so IMO expect petrol, booze, ciggarettes, all taxes to rise in a while because of lost revenue.

but im all for it, glad its here, pub will smell "weired" without the smell of tabs, just the smell of stale #### to remove now n where sorted! :D

done

When you say the government will lose revenue, if you look at the flip side of the coin, they're probably going to save on Hospital related admissions, and no doubt they'l cash in on those who continue to smoke in public places (fines etc).

If they raised tax on fags or petrol as a result of there own decision to ban it, then that would be outrageous.

I definitly see the ban as a good thing, but as i've said on previous threads, it's always been my decision to go to these places and knowing there would be smoke has never put me off going out.

Its good that theyre partly banning smoking but us motorist will get hit badly becuase of it. The goverment need some way to make up the money theyre gonna loose.

Nice not to stink of it, but yesterday was annoyed having to sit outside because one person in our group of 4 wanted to smoke!

Did they force you at gunpoint!? You should have just gone inside and they'd probably have gone without.

When you say the government will lose revenue, if you look at the flip side of the coin, they're probably going to save on Hospital related admissions, and no doubt they'l cash in on those who continue to smoke in public places (fines etc).

If they raised tax on fags or petrol as a result of there own decision to ban it, then that would be outrageous.

I definitly see the ban as a good thing, but as i've said on previous threads, it's always been my decision to go to these places and knowing there would be smoke has never put me off going out.

But it will take years before smoking related illnesses start to drop significantly, and its really difficult to measure. Tax on something else will rise.

Both sides will never be happy, as for me I can see it from both sides as i was a smoker 60+ a day yes 60. I have been off them for 18 months now, and allthough I dont have a problem with people smoking everyone to there own and all that, I do welcome the ban WHY well I drive for royal mail and on my day off like today my van will be used by a low life individual who leaves cig ash all over centre console all over dash area down on floor and the stench is foul. However had he cleaned up after himself and left my van the way he found it nipping clean then I wouldnt have a problem with his smoking but he dont and I have the same crap to clean every time. Yes I used to smoke but never did I leave my van dirty stinking of cigs, nor did I expect someone else to clean my filth.............now we have the means to get it sorted next time and there will be a next time I will report it to the envirormental health sorted........Other side of the coin is this no smokers means less tax less tax means everyone else has to pay even more tax no smokers no NHS the revenue raised just from the tax on cigs keeps an awfull lot of other taxes down.........all the ban will do is drive smoking under ground they wont stop because of a ban you have to want to stop if you dont want to then you never will................no matter what the law.

I'm a smoker and i think the ban is a good idea. I don't think people are being forced to quit smoking its just an encouragement, everyone exceot one person in the pub last nite was a smoker and we actually prefered going outside for a smoke just sucks when it rains lol

yay for the ban!

Smoking is a drug addiction no matter how you look at it, it's time to make it harder for smokers and hopefully they'll quit, saving NHS money and possibly their lives!

Good luck to anyone giving up!

The best thing to happen to the UK in a long time.

+1 again. Since it has been hear in Scotland things are great. Doing the DJ alot of the time I would come away from a venue with a splitting sore head due to the smoke. We wouldnt need a smoke machine the people would do it for us.

But since the ban up here things are great and it doesnt seem as if many people are that bothered TBH.

I can't believe the government gave up that much tax, now they are going to have to steal more off non-smokers to cover their loss for their alcohol fund or whatever.

with any luck the cost of NHS treatment for smokers will drop covering the amount lost in tax, in the it doesn't matter, I'd happily pay bit more tax if it made it harder for people to smoke and they give up.

lol raise it on alcohol for all I care :p

Seriously though I don't mind paying more taxes if less people die from cancer caused by smoking, increased overall health, less demand put on the NHS from smoking related problems, it's all good in my opinion anyway you look at it.

The issue of smoke free public places for me is just a bonus...

Kev

The way I see it is if people are stupid enough to smoke, they probably deserve to get cancer (I used to smoke, lol). We shouldn't have to pay for it.
That aside we have had our choice taken away from us, we are a step closer to a dictatorship, soon we will have America busting in and killing the PM and wiping half of us out to give us a 'better life'.
What next? We can only leave our house at certain hours?
This is the start of something that will soon get out of hand.

That aside we have had our choice taken away from us, we are a step closer to a dictatorship

I don't know what people are on about here!! They can still smoke but not in enclosed spaces. So whats the problem?? Should non smokers have to breath in other peoples smoke just because the smokers don't want to get wet or stand outside???

Im a smoker and i love it, the goverment did something right for a change. Ok so i dont want to quit at this moment but last night i only smoked 4-5 fags compared to the 10 that i would normally smoke. Doesnt seem like much of a drop but every little helps.
As far as taxes, i really dont belive that everyones interest is that they'd rather pay slightly less tax than have to go to there freinds or a member of there familys funeral just because nobody made an effort to help them to quit smoking. I wont go into what services we should remove to make more of a balance....e.g dough money (wrong spelling i know).

we've had the smoking ban in Wales since April now and in most pubs business is booming, and people who wish to smoke seem happy enough with the outdoor designated smoking areas provided for them

Back