new drivers act and smoking while driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmicra

Ex. Club Member
i was reading in the newspaper last nite about the new drivers act an the new law there trying to pass about smoking while driving?

presonly i think its bull! its peoples own choice to smoke while driving an as for the new drivers act iv not passed my test yet if that if they stop new drivers driving after dark and with passengers they wont be able to keep every new driver under control? what do ypu guys an girls think about it?

i didint mind when they brought in the no smoking in public places as i wouldnt want sumone getting cancer because i wanted to smoke around them but smoking while driving could cause more damage than it would help. if people smoke an they are on a long distance drive and there not aloud to smoke then the rage would kick in.

in that case ban smokers from driving as they are liable to road rage from not being able to smoke. its no good allowing smokers to smoke in cars just becasue it might lead to another problem.

in that case ban smokers from driving as they are liable to road rage from not being able to smoke. its no good allowing smokers to smoke in cars just becasue it might lead to another problem

can see your point there, but smoking in a car is like drink a tin of coke or eatin a macd's they distract you the same if not more

a smoke is something tend to keep in your hand for an extended period though.
i would say these kinds of things are already covered by the police. i remember a nurse getting fined for eating a biscuit while queing at traffic lights.

Agree its a distraction like being on a mobile etc, so if they can pull you over for eating a kit kat or something as rediculous, then go for it i say.

exactly... if i cant have a drink while im driving, then ppl shouldnt be allowed 2 smoke either... but the driving after it gets dark is stupid lol

Where do they draw the line on what you can and can't do whilst driving?

I agree mobiles are bad, smoking yes, if you drop the fag you're reaction is to put it out, but what about a drink, you have to tip your head a bit, what about a stereo, I almost lost it bad on motorway when changing just a track.

So if this is introduced, coppers have to see you doing something, but when you're going at 50-70mph how can they be sure what they saw? and has convinced a copper what they saw wasn't what they thought?

I want somthing like this introduced but it'll get the wrong people, knowing me i'll be done for drinking my diet coke and lime on the way to Birmingham.

As for driving after dark! WTF? hello, winter, it's dark before 5pm, are new drivers gonna stop at work!!

you dont drive to work if you cant drive when dark thats the solution to that.
i think there does need to be clarification on what is acceptable in the car.

This after dark rule... its the same as.. "msn is canceling hotmail accounts - forward this on because you will be unlucky in love".
The thing is, i dont fall for either - but you guys seem to...!
..Geese!

the after dark thing might be related to insurance companies offering young drivers a large discount if they dont drive at night.

In New Zealand you can't drive after dark for the first year, having said that you can get your license at 15 over there.

Personally, I think the non smoking thing is rubbish, i'm a smoker and whilst lighting a cigarette can be distracting, if your fiddling for the lighter etc, smoking itself is an unconcious act.

So if they want to ban smoking as being dangerous, then they should ban cars with manual transmissions - it takes exactly the same amount of concentration to puff on a cig as it takes to change gear once you've been driving for a couple of years.

When I left tesco's today I counted ten cars go past with people chatting on their mobile phones over the space of about five minutes. The ban hasn't discouraged people, its just made them look out for the police in their mirrors etc rather than looking at the road. All it does is provide local boroughs with a method for collecting extra cash as and when they need it.

End of the day all of it's bollox - sat nav is a distraction, your music's a distraction, having people in the car talking to you is a distraction. So what's next, they ban it all, then ban normal people from driving as its too dangerous?

Just my 2 pence. :D

From expericene i thing smoking while driving can be dangoures especialy on rounderbouts, its difficult to drive the car using one hand without power steering.

My mate who smokes all the time while driving finds it easy as he has PAS but he has droped a cig down the side of the seats twice and burn him self once, and that nearly caused him to lose control, and thats at lower than the speed limits

So i think it can be dangerous at times, but most of the time he handles the car fine while smoking

i agree with Krian, the most distracting part is while sparking up.

what if your a new smoker, then your ineptness at smoking at handling a cigarette, would be even more dangerous. on insurance you should declare how long you have been smoking for.
also questioned on
how long have you been picking your nose?
how long do you look at girls wearing short skirts?

insurance premium would be calculated on a point scoring system.

nizzanz1 said:
what if your a new smoker, then your ineptness at smoking at handling a cigarette, would be even more dangerous. on insurance you should declare how long you have been smoking for.
also questioned on
how long have you been picking your nose?
how long do you look at girls wearing short skirts?

insurance premium would be calculated on a point scoring system.

Dont say that, my premium would go through the roof! :D

a think its brilliant! one coz a got done for taking a drink out of a mcdonalds cup whilst driving and smokin is no different + smokers domy head in

i was told that there tryin to make it so all new drivers would be only able to drive a 1.0LTR for 2 year

right now I work on a lot of Car Washes. And when on our safety course with BP.

It's reported that BP had 130 FIRES on petrol stations LAST YEAR ALONE!

Now, 125 of those fires did NOT start ont he station.

What caused more than 80% of them? SMOKERS, smoking in their cars, dropping a cigarette, the car starts burning, they swerve all over the road. Then pull into a petrol station to get a fire extinguisher.

Fire in a car when you're also being distracted = Danegerous!

See it a lot as I drive a lot on motorways, people smoking, they drop the cigarette and they look down and try to get it off them or the car, and they're swerving across the motorway.

It should be banned while driving. Simple. No arguments

I also agree that they should restrict power and engine size a new driver can drive, they do it with bikes, why not with cars?

It's a a load of poo if you ask me. Ok, smoking is a distraction, i used to smoke and the number of times i dropped the bloopin thing while going round bends etc was dangerous, esp the time i dropped it between my legs!!! But, i think the government need to #### off to be honest with you. Y they can't go and do their job properly and stop picking on the general public i don't know. Why can't they find sensible things to ban, like Asylum seekers etc. I'm not racist, but when we suffer to pay for someone not from this country it's pathetic.
And what's the point in passing your driving test if u can't drive after dark?. Does that mean we get to leave work early in the winter and still get paid for it coz we've got to get home b4 dark!!!! I don't think so!!

Alienfish360 said:
right now I work on a lot of Car Washes. And when on our safety course with BP.

It's reported that BP had 130 FIRES on petrol stations LAST YEAR ALONE!

Now, 125 of those fires did NOT start ont he station.

What caused more than 80% of them? SMOKERS, smoking in their cars, dropping a cigarette, the car starts burning, they swerve all over the road. Then pull into a petrol station to get a fire extinguisher.

Fire in a car when you're also being distracted = Danegerous!

See it a lot as I drive a lot on motorways, people smoking, they drop the cigarette and they look down and try to get it off them or the car, and they're swerving across the motorway.

It should be banned while driving. Simple. No arguments

Thats another thing i hate, people who smoke in petrol stations, i saw a bloke once fill up while having a lit cig in his mouth.

Arnold said:
Agree its a distraction like being on a mobile etc, so if they can pull you over for eating a kit kat or something as rediculous, then go for it i say.

hehe, I have this image in my head of a GTA-style car chase with the getaway car chucking kit kat bars out of the windows to loose the evidence...

Ems said:
It's a a load of poo if you ask me. Ok, smoking is a distraction, i used to smoke and the number of times i dropped the bloopin thing while going round bends etc was dangerous, esp the time i dropped it between my legs!!! But, i think the government need to #### off to be honest with you. Y they can't go and do their job properly and stop picking on the general public i don't know. Why can't they find sensible things to ban, like Asylum seekers etc. I'm not racist, but when we suffer to pay for someone not from this country it's pathetic.
And what's the point in passing your driving test if u can't drive after dark?. Does that mean we get to leave work early in the winter and still get paid for it coz we've got to get home b4 dark!!!! I don't think so!!

as i said above if restricted you dont drive to work. do you suffer as much as some asylum seekers would if they stayed in their country and got tortured?
its the governments responsibilty to make laws to stop people getting distracted in their cars doing stupid things. i also think young driver should be restricted to 1.0 cars only.and be forced to car share with any old grannies waiting at bus stops.

Turtle said:
hehe, I have this image in my head of a GTA-style car chase with the getaway car chucking kit kat bars out of the windows to loose the evidence...
thats a great image.
police camera action clip:
"just look at these reckless idiots throwing their jaffa cakes out of the window. they dont realise its all caught on the helicopters night vision camera..."

lmao! they cant enforce that on new drivers its just plain stupid, the smoking thing is just like eating and drinking whilst driving (which i think is an offence), its a distraction, i can see why they ban it tbh

i think insurance already keeps new drivers in 1.4L or less

for the majority it does. but that just punishes the non rich. wealthy kids will be in their turbo scooby at 17 years old.

yeah i guess they could have a similar system to m'bikes, limit the CC until after a couple of years, i think 1,000cc is abit harsh tho, maybe no bigger then 1,400

nothing wrong with being harsh. punish the young i say.

wish i was 17 again.....

Demarest said:
Thats another thing i hate, people who smoke in petrol stations, i saw a bloke once fill up while having a lit cig in his mouth.

i bet you dont turn your mobile off :p

Ive seen them turn ALL the pumps off because someone is smoking... everyone goes absolute ape.. its well funny...

Speaking of phones... people use them in hospitals all the time too - not as bad.. but still!

i like to make a little camp fire right by the unleaded pump which looks like it aint been cleaned in ages (so its nice and flammable)... with the marshmellows n everything

rlees85 said:
me too, and im only 21...
you've got it good lol.

wheres the petrol in hospitals?

i once saw one of those traveller people juggling them flaming sticks while filling up at the garage.

rlees85 said:
yeah i guess they could have a similar system to m'bikes, limit the CC until after a couple of years, i think 1,000cc is abit harsh tho, maybe no bigger then 1,400

I disagree on this point, upon passing a bike test under 21s are restricted to 33bhp for two years (soon to be made under 25s), this effectively limits them to about 100mph, what is the average 1.4l capable of reaching compared to the average 1.0l? Also, the government are trying to sneak in a new piece of legislation stating that once a rider passes his test and is limited to 33 bhp, he/she then has to take further training and a test to progress onto a more powerful machine.

its easier to send a txt on my fone than it is for me to smoke while drivin. be carefull thats all i say.

nizzanz1 said:
as i said above if restricted you dont drive to work. do you suffer as much as some asylum seekers would if they stayed in their country and got tortured?
its the governments responsibilty to make laws to stop people getting distracted in their cars doing stupid things. i also think young driver should be restricted to 1.0 cars only.and be forced to car share with any old grannies waiting at bus stops.

Slightly off topic here, but whilst there is a large portion of genuine asylum seekers, theres a bigger portion that is here because the UK has one of the 'best' benefits systems in the world, and that's all they're after.

The rule on seeking asylum is that they're supposed to stop at the first country they come to, so Germany, Spain, France, etc but instead they move to the uk because you can actually live off of benefits here without ever getting a job.

What really eff's me off is all of em who come over here, go on benefits and then try and wash my bloody car windows at the traffic lights :D That gets me sooooo annoyed, specially when I say no and they try and carry on. And i've seen quite a few where they do the job even when you say no, then get violent when you refuse to pay em. grr

sonic said:
I disagree on this point, upon passing a bike test under 21s are restricted to 33bhp for two years (soon to be made under 25s), this effectively limits them to about 100mph, what is the average 1.4l capable of reaching compared to the average 1.0l? Also, the government are trying to sneak in a new piece of legislation stating that once a rider passes his test and is limited to 33 bhp, he/she then has to take further training and a test to progress onto a more powerful machine.

really dont know what your trying to say, if 1.4 is too much or if limiting cc at all is not a good idea.

dusk said:
Oh right - sounds like Nissanz1 is a victim of politial correctness

yeah guess my defination was abit ott, sorry... :wasntme:

Krian said:
Slightly off topic here, but whilst there is a large portion of genuine asylum seekers, theres a bigger portion that is here because the UK has one of the 'best' benefits systems in the world, and that's all they're after.

The rule on seeking asylum is that they're supposed to stop at the first country they come to, so Germany, Spain, France, etc but instead they move to the uk because you can actually live off of benefits here without ever getting a job.

What really eff's me off is all of em who come over here, go on benefits and then try and wash my bloody car windows at the traffic lights :D That gets me sooooo annoyed, specially when I say no and they try and carry on. And i've seen quite a few where they do the job even when you say no, then get violent when you refuse to pay em. grr

do you really think its the u.k that only has his problem? its a big problem all over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back