the pulsar conversion

martinb

Ex. Club Member
the pulsar conversion HELP!!!!

hi all

i need to confirm something with you, i have sourced some almera gti calipers/hubs discs

i need to know if they will definately fit

its a 1998 almera gti it was registered on 17/03/1998 hope this helps, the fronts are 255 vented he said??

also seeing as i already have rear brake disc k11, will the rear upgrade apply with the rear almera brakes,caliper disc

i have 14 '' wheels so i should be ok right?

please let me know as ive got to let the seller know,thanks(Y)(Y)

the "pulsar brakes" are the same brakes from the Almera GTI, so the ones you have should be fine mate and should have clearance behind your wheels

when you take them off, you will remove x2 bolts holding the caliper on, note there is a split washer on each bolt.

use mole grips and clamp the brake hose, remove the brake line from the caliper and re-bolt to the new caliper

after putting the new disc on you need to re-mount the caliper, slide the bolts in the holder, when the bolt is a little bit through on the outher side>>>this is where you need to add a 1mm washer, inbetween the caliper and the holder<<<<< then continue to bolt it up... all done....time to bleed the brakes

note...this will give you a longer pedal but dont worry, enjoy

The longer pedal is usually a sign of the master cylinder struggling to fill the piston.

I wonder if there are any master cylinder upgrades available or that fit the K11.

You don't mention the caliper carriers, if you don't have these then they are pretty useless.

Mike

You don't mention the caliper carriers, if you don't have these then they are pretty useless.

Mike

yeah caliper carriers included its a guys almera gti, hes breaking it and im having the fronts,wil the rears fit as an upgrade on my standard rear discs?

cheers for all the info peps

so did the pulsar gtir /almera gtr come with grooved disc as standard?

thats why the brakes feel sharper, your getting more leverage, and if your wheel bearing starts to go the pedal hits the floor :eek: (no safety margin)

The bigger brakes combined with a nice short firm pedal would be best for braking feedback, and a shorter distance for the brake to travel reduces the time for you to get on the brakes.

The downside to that is the loss of leverage.

Matt has been selling master clinder upgrades for years. Personally I've never had a problem other than the pedal effort required is too little fr my liking. Fitting a bigger master cylinder will help this some and give a firmer pedal.

Matt has been selling master clinder upgrades for years. Personally I've never had a problem other than the pedal effort required is too little fr my liking. Fitting a bigger master cylinder will help this some and give a firmer pedal.

Right, you only want to replace the master cylinder, not the booster. The bigger calipers wants more brake oil to move the same distance, but with more power. For pumping more oil you need a bigger diam MC, but the one that assists you to push the pedal is the booster.
So same booster, bigger diameter MC.
In my Wrangler I replaced only the booster with an all disks and heavier trucks one. But still lacking oil at the calipers, so replacing the MC with a Chevy corvette 1" one.

As for the micra I'm on the same boat, but mine's Lucas... don't know if it will be helping you when I find the formula.

Right, you only want to replace the master cylinder, not the booster. The bigger calipers wants more brake oil to move the same distance, but with more power. For pumping more oil you need a bigger diam MC, but the one that assists you to push the pedal is the booster.
So same booster, bigger diameter MC.
In my Wrangler I replaced only the booster with an all disks and heavier trucks one. But still lacking oil at the calipers, so replacing the MC with a Chevy corvette 1" one.

As for the micra I'm on the same boat, but mine's Lucas... don't know if it will be helping you when I find the formula.

Yes, the vacuum servo can remain the same and is more than up to the job. The bigger diameter master cylinder is not required, as there is enough fluid transfer from the OEM unit to actuate the GTI-R calipers. The only thing I would chose to change if I were to do it again, (we're upgrading to a pedal box to make room for the ITB's), would be to have a larger diameter master cylinder to give a firmer pedal feel, i.e. a greater pedal load required to apply the same force to the calipers, which will give more control under hard braking.

FYI, the OEM master cylinder is 19.05mm OD and the upgrade units from Matt are 23.8mm, which for a given caliper cylinder area will give approximately a 50% increase in required braking effort.......roughly equating to 'close to stock' effort when upgrading.

tbh i dont find the stock oem unit to have any problems with the larger brakes and imo it feels about right when referring to pedal movement vs braking force. Then again i guess its personal preference.

With regards to uprating, wouldnt a bigger unit from a bigger nissan just fit straight on? ...knowing how much the like reusing parts.

It bolts straight up to the OEM vacuum servo......iirc there maybe some hosework but it's been a while since I layed my eyes on one of the MC's.

It's personal preference at the end of the day, for me it's far too powerful on a track for controlled braking and not good for heal+toe upshifts.......however this reflects my use for the car on track and only a an occasional road car.

Back