Rear disc conversion

CMF_Mickb

» CMF Member
hello,
don't know how many ppl would be interested in this..
There's a guy on UK ebay selling adapters (dog bones)
to convert a drum rear end to disc, giving you the same
caliper spacing as the front, ie so you can fit massive brakes on the front and GTIR calipers on the rear, overkill of course :)
have to convert to a hydraulic handbrake too as there is no
handbrake attachment on front calipers.
kinda wish i didn't have disc rears already otherwise i would do this..

postage is 15pounds to QLD

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2c52fb668e

CMF_Lodo75

» CMF Member
but arnt there any other calipers that fit the bolt patern and have a handbrake cable thingy??? you can run the original front discs in the rear, just have to look for calipers that fit... maybe somthing form vw the have a lot of handbrakes on calipers...???
i might consider this as a project for my micra...

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Geoff W WROTE:

"yeah like a non-standard exhaust or air filter. But we all do that don't we. It's only illegal if you get caught :)

Um none of that is illegal up here as long as your exhaust is no louder then 90db at 3000rpm and your pod filter is secured its all legal and does not even need a mod plate of any kind.

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
sikK11 WROTE:

"Geoff W WROTE:<BR><BR>"yeah like a non-standard exhaust or air filter. But we all do that don't we. It's only illegal if you get caught :)"</DIV><BR><BR>Um none of that is illegal up here as long as your exhaust is no louder then 90db at 3000rpm and your pod filter is secured its all legal and does not even need a mod plate of any kind.

Well in NSw now, if you have an aftermarket exhaust fitted it must meet not only the noise restrictions as mentioned but also have a proven emmissions test too. Or the exhaust shop has had their system tested and pre approved. That's why there are some really expensive full systems available for your v8 commodore/falcon now. Because the manufacturer has to recoup the cost of development to meet these standards.

It's really really strict to the point that some exhaust places will now refuse to fit an aftermarket "sports" exhaust, because if their shop is mentioned to have fitted a system that doesn't comply then they can be fined as well.

As far as the little electric flaps you can buy integrated into a muffler to cut the noise level well they're deemed illegal because you can change it at the flick of a button to be an illegal exhaust. What confuses me is that the new VE GTS has one of these fitted from the factory and it's alloowed. (Bi-modal exhaust) How's that for a double standard!

It's down right ridiculous i know but that's what the almighty state government has introduced to raise some more revenue off the back of the modified car owner. They just love victimising our minority.

CMF_Lodo75

» CMF Member
how did he managed to put bmw e30 calipars to fit in the front... is that a staight swap....??? and how about the rear axle of that fiat.... i think that a axle of a punto gt is quite rare so not that im considering it... but the front brakes would be awsome since those are cheap and easy to get hold of... if anyone knows details please let me know so i can go ebay-ing!!!

CMF_Lodo75

» CMF Member
climberjoel WROTE:

"would indeed be a cool project lodo75, let us know how it goes if you do tackle it :D <BR><BR>been round the nordschleife lateley?

well, the ring will be open for the first time this year on the 21 of march i belief... but the weather isnt al that, so im planning on going in the beginning of april.... maybe with disc breaks in the rear if i can find suitable calipers... but im going with the ebay plates... front disc in the rear... was thinking of the rear calipers of a golf or audi a3, but they run on smaller diameter disc's... opel has a coupel i might try .... i'll post as soon as i find something :)

Back