The K11 surely the oldest vehicle on UK roads in the greatist numbers?

My mate always giving me stick about my K11.
Though I fired back to him surely the K11 must be the oldest car in the greatist numbers on UK roads currently?
I am trying to think anything else in major numbers from the 90's still around etc?

Though I fired back to him surely the K11 must be the oldest car in the greatist numbers on UK roads currently?
I am trying to think anything else in major numbers from the 90's still around etc?

I'd agree with this. The number I still see floating around is staggering when you consider they stopped making them in 2003 :eek:
I see more K11's than any of their rivals from the time. I also see more K11's than K12's !

My 1994 micra been in the the family since 1997. My dad bought it 2nd hand from some old dear which then had 6,000 miles on the clock since new.
Though, as it got no PAS my dad found it difficult to drive. I inherited it in 2008, but been one of the most reliable vehicle I had! Still only done 102,000 miles!

Weren't the K11 Micra's assembled in Sunderland in the UK? Perhaps for this reason - not having to import the cars built up from Japan, and being built like tiny road going battle ships. and because they really are as cute as a button, then there will be a lot of them buzzing about the place still. Also, they have an appeal among young people in a cult car kind of way because they are a dream to work on for the home mechanic and respond well to some mild customizing - perhaps some aggressive customising as well - who knows. They are, or perhaps will be, the equivalent, of how people now look at the old Morrie Minors and Austin/Morris Minis's and perhaps the Fiat 500 Bambina, but certainly not the Yugo. They have something special, about them that is charismatic and that makes these little cars much more than just a method of transportation..

Well they sold 10 million of them here, and they are survivors due to the mechanical build quality.
However their popularity here is due to being very affordable for the first time driver, to buy and to insure.
Also very affordable to customise, and to "beef" up if that's what you like doing.
Hey Bruce, are there many in New Zealand (?) wouldn't think so.

Rust underneath will be any death of my K11 1.3 CVT. Though I've had most of the inner/outer sills done. It's the rear arches which starting to go now. I have another £400 set aside for MOT in Sept 17 (if required). People will say why if spend that on a MOT for an old car. Well yes I could put that £400 towards another car, but would have to spend probably £3000 or any less probably buying a load of trouble in all these electrics etc on modern day cars, so I am sticking with my Micra for as long as.

As a poster said easy to work on yourself. I service mine DIY. Oil plugs etc.

A great British built car. It's fun to drive as I have non PAS it get great feedback from the steering wheel when thrown into bends & it's well nippy with 1.3 twin cam.

It's ironic as if Nissan built every car like the K11 they might lose custom in time as no one would need to change their car!

Well they sold 10 million of them here, and they are survivors due to the mechanical build quality.
However their popularity here is due to being very affordable for the first time driver, to buy and to insure.
Also very affordable to customise, and to "beef" up if that's what you like doing.
Hey Bruce, are there many in New Zealand (?) wouldn't think so.

No, not many really, Davyboy, you are correct. Very few sold here new with most being JDM used imports, like mine, a 1997 K11 March imported into New Zealand in 2004. All that seems to have changed a bit with K12 & K13 March JDM cars with low KM's coming into the country. A general observation seems to indicate in significant numbers. Also, again as a personal observation the number of small/tiny cars generally, seems to be on the rise here.
I like my little March and at 6'2" I find the car pretty comfortable to drive in around town. However, with its 998cc engine some of the hilly parts of town present a challenge. But at my time of life I'm in no real hurry to be anywhere at all.
When I bough the car it was located way out of town and this required a delivery time of some seven hours drive covering around 650km. The car got into its groove fairly early on and the drive, while not exhilarating was no less pleasant and more relaxing than I am used to. I enjoyed driving in the knowledge that I would not be pulled over by the cops for speeding, heck, this little car finds it difficult to even reach the posted open road limit of 100km/ph. No super highways here that go on for hours.

Weren't the K11 Micra's assembled in Sunderland in the UK? Perhaps for this reason - not having to import the cars built up from Japan, and being built like tiny road going battle ships. and because they really are as cute as a button, then there will be a lot of them buzzing about the place still. Also, they have an appeal among young people in a cult car kind of way because they are a dream to work on for the home mechanic and respond well to some mild customizing - perhaps some aggressive customising as well - who knows. They are, or perhaps will be, the equivalent, of how people now look at the old Morrie Minors and Austin/Morris Minis's and perhaps the Fiat 500 Bambina, but certainly not the Yugo. They have something special, about them that is charismatic and that makes these little cars much more than just a method of transportation..

Excellent post, I really couldn't agree more :)

No, not many really, Davyboy, you are correct. Very few sold here new with most being JDM used imports, like mine, a 1997 K11 March imported into New Zealand in 2004. All that seems to have changed a bit with K12 & K13 March JDM cars with low KM's coming into the country. A general observation seems to indicate in significant numbers. Also, again as a personal observation the number of small/tiny cars generally, seems to be on the rise here.
I like my little March and at 6'2" I find the car pretty comfortable to drive in around town. However, with its 998cc engine some of the hilly parts of town present a challenge. But at my time of life I'm in no real hurry to be anywhere at all.
When I bough the car it was located way out of town and this required a delivery time of some seven hours drive covering around 650km. The car got into its groove fairly early on and the drive, while not exhilarating was no less pleasant and more relaxing than I am used to. I enjoyed driving in the knowledge that I would not be pulled over by the cops for speeding, heck, this little car finds it difficult to even reach the posted open road limit of 100km/ph. No super highways here that go on for hours.

Wow, 650 km is a starship long way to go to get a K11 Micra, and suggest you must have really wanted that one and name it Enterprise?

Fortunately within a bike ride, there’s still plenty of good old Micra’s still around here in the West Country where I think that oggies and K11s grows on trees.

Try the 1.3. Packs a fair bit of power for a small car!
Mine is CVT and it moves fairly quick!

Rust underneath will be any death of my K11 1.3 CVT. Though I've had most of the inner/outer sills done. It's the rear arches which starting to go now. I have another £400 set aside for MOT in Sept 17 (if required). People will say why if spend that on a MOT for an old car. Well yes I could put that £400 towards another car, but would have to spend probably £3000 or any less probably buying a load of trouble in all these electrics etc on modern day cars, so I am sticking with my Micra for as long as.

A lot of sense in that & it mirrors the way I feel. I just don't subscribe to the chuck it away 'cos it's old mentality you see a lot now. I like the fact the car is old & getting it patched up if possible makes sense. I'd rather stick with what I know & keep the Micra going as long as possible. New ain't better it's just new ;) & these days cars are all built down to a price & definitely not made to last or be repairable.
If another recession hits (as is predicted) I'd rather have saved money keeping my old car going (& thus be in a better position) than have a wacking great loan on the go paying for some new piece of junk :rolleyes:

There's a lot of metal out there owned by the banks and loan companies that's for sure.
All to look good in a shiny overcoat.....bought a new car once, won't be doing it twice.

A lot of sense in that & it mirrors the way I feel. I just don't subscribe to the chuck it away 'cos it's old mentality you see a lot now. I like the fact the car is old & getting it patched up if possible makes sense. I'd rather stick with what I know & keep the Micra going as long as possible. New ain't better it's just new ;) & these days cars are all built down to a price & definitely not made to last or be repairable.
If another recession hits (as is predicted) I'd rather have saved money keeping my old car going (& thus be in a better position) than have a wacking great loan on the go paying for some new piece of junk :rolleyes:

This is a success story for my K11.

I explain this to my daughter (who only now travels in the K11 maybe once a month) as now at Uni, that the K11 is durable and cheap to maintain.. She always thought the K11 was uncool and hated it though her sentiments have changed.

Last Christmas from a hoilday she got diverted to land at Bristol (meant to be Luton). Her friends parents who had a brand new Golf only 300 miles on the clock meant to be collecting them, broke down enroute on the M4 (ECU software failure). So I get the call. In steps the K11. I pick the friends parents up on the M4, my daughter & friend and their luggage. The K11 saves the day and gets everyone home!

The thing is nowadays when you purchase a new car. It’s not really your car. The manufacturer sees it as their car (when they feel like it).

For instance all the tech on ECU firmware etc it’s all programmed by them. You have a car under their control. They don’t want you buggering around with it & they make it far more difficult for you to take it to a garage of your choice. An error light comes on you surely must be looking at £500 to put that out nowadays with labour parts and VAT?

A saw an AA advertisement saying they have a high percentage rate of roadside fixes. I am thinking how exactly they reach those figures they must been old vehicles. I can asure you the roadside mechanic never attempts it with a modern day car, unless a computer technician. It’s a flatbed job now all the time with modern day cars.

If you ask me modern petrol engines kinda peaked in the 90's there's been little worthwhile development since, the turbo diesels are different, anyway so now new cars are being sold on all the tech and useless rubbish that's in them.
I agree with the previous post about the micra being like a modern day mini, a peoples car simple, basic and bare bones and the better for that.
The k11 didn't take our in Australia because exchange rates meant a car coming from the UK was going to struggle against Japanese imports and they were more expensive and lower spec that thier competitors.

i agree with the petrol engine development peaking 20 yrs ago, the recent trend is for small petrol turbo engines (that drink fuel !)
tdi is the way to go for budget motoring, cheaper insurance/mpg/mapping etc, tho steer clear of the later dpf diesels

Fuel MPG is the one thing I wish I could extend!
I have a 1.3 CVT and light footed I can average 44-46 MPG with a bit of motorway and town driving.
To break the 50MPG I would have to do motorway at 60MPH, though that's not bad for a petrol vehicle 23 years old. I do have to pay £130 a year in road tax.
Todays diesels will do a lot more MPG, but you have to outlay a fair few thousands first!

There's a lot of metal out there owned by the banks and loan companies that's for sure.
All to look good in a shiny overcoat.....bought a new car once, won't be doing it twice.

Yep, it's a funny thing how obsessed some people are with having a new car irrespective of whether they can actually afford it.
I'll keep the K11 running as long as possible & save money & the planet ;).

My ex had a 2011 ford fiesta ok fairly reliable some warning light came on. They had to take half the engine away to get to the sensor. Whole thing came to about £600 with parts and labour + VAT. Just like that.

I have more important things to save money for then give it to a garage!

Best bang for the buck is to buy a pre converted LPG vehicle. I'll keep mine running until it's literally a pile of oxide.

All modern cars are guilty of drinking fuel in the real world compared to their BS simulated figures.

Our little girls are in the real world when it comes to mpg - a match for any of the figures quoted today.
Mine is 35/38 around town, and a comfy 55 mpg on a run.....very happy with that.
The Wagonr I've just bought is the same, hidden gems that people laugh at, but the same as the micra - easy ownership.

Fuel MPG is the one thing I wish I could extend!
I have a 1.3 CVT and light footed I can average 44-46 MPG with a bit of motorway and town driving.
To break the 50MPG I would have to do motorway at 60MPH, though that's not bad for a petrol vehicle 23 years old. I do have to pay £130 a year in road tax.
Todays diesels will do a lot more MPG, but you have to outlay a fair few thousands first!
I have a 1.3 cvt as well...really impressive little car - and quick of the mark, takes a gud un to keep up around town for sure.

Wow, 650 km is a starship long way to go to get a K11 Micra, and suggest you must have really wanted that one and name it Enterprise?

Fortunately within a bike ride, there’s still plenty of good old Micra’s still around here in the West Country where I think that oggies and K11s grows on trees.

There must be soooo many Micra's in the UK with their being assembled locally. I imagine also that there are still spares available or at least easily accessible that helps ease the burden on owning a twenty year old car.

Yes, it is a long way. But its not too bad. With this country's scattered population over a long thin island driving becomes a necessity unless its unavoidable. The hard part of this trip is actually the long 11 hour overnight intercity Bus trip from Johnsonville where I live to downtown Auckland and with very little sleep, headed out on the trip home.
March's are pretty thin on the ground here and this wee Enterprise banged the, must have, bell when I saw it on a local internet auction. Low, Km's and asking price, lovely condition inside and I like the bright and sunny colour - turquoise. The body has suffered a bit from close quarter city driving, but I'll attend to all of that over the next few weeks of summer. And if I can get a photo hosting website to work then I will post pictures of this cheeky little monkey of a car.

Cheers
Bruce

There must be soooo many Micra's in the UK with their being assembled locally. I imagine also that there are still spares available or at least easily accessible that helps ease the burden on owning a twenty year old car.

Yes, it is a long way. But its not too bad. With this country's scattered population over a long thin island driving becomes a necessity unless its unavoidable. The hard part of this trip is actually the long 11 hour overnight intercity Bus trip from Johnsonville where I live to downtown Auckland and with very little sleep, headed out on the trip home.
March's are pretty thin on the ground here and this wee Enterprise banged the, must have, bell when I saw it on a local internet auction. Low, Km's and asking price, lovely condition inside and I like the bright and sunny colour - turquoise. The body has suffered a bit from close quarter city driving, but I'll attend to all of that over the next few weeks of summer. And if I can get a photo hosting website to work then I will post pictures of this cheeky little monkey of a car.

Cheers
Bruce

Respect for your determination and Enterprise” to take on your 18 hour return trip to collect a 1997 K11.

They were plentiful and are now being set aside by the current fashion for profligate conspicuous consumption throw away UK society. Buy new on contract credit hire and throw away what we already have fashion scam to transfer wealth upwards from its creators to capital and those that own the economy.

Happily there is no shortage of good K11s being discarded due to this throwaway fashion and I can still pick and choose from many good ones for sale nearby at distressed giveaway bargain prices. Long may the K.I.S.S. factor K11 good reliable cheap motoring times continue?

The 1939 Oldsmobile looks a truly impressive enterprise collector’s gem to enjoy.

Referance; http://imgur.com/a/qMKyr

Prosperous and happy New Year everybody.

Last edited:
Back