text speak...

squarepants

Ex. Club Member
i feel like having a rant about this. its doing my head in. not only this fourm but other fourms iam on aswell...

why carnt people just type properly? heck i dont even do text speak when i text on the phone or msn. so why do people do it on fourms?

a) i carnt understand a word that they are saying.

b) people who use text speak come across as chavs in my eyes.

c) makes people think there complete idiots. and doesnt make you cool fwn

theres no point in even beeing on a fourm if you carnt type IMO.

people should'nt be able to post if theyb type with text speak. i.e when they create a new post they should'nt be able to submit the post unless they type properly! this would stop people posting up crap people can not understand.

grr

dan.

lol dan :laugh: just ignore the posts, else you,re gonna bust a blood vessel :eek: they,re usually just gibberish anyway :p

theres no point in even beeing on a fourm if you carnt type IMO.

not be stupid here or childish, but you used "IMO" (which is ok for me)..........this forum is really good all the time regarding posts. not a problem understanding etc. the slight words here and there are fine in my opinion ;) and things like "lol" are fine and same with "IMO". its really not that bad here and i think people should be "able to write how they wont, aslong as its readable".

if you cant read it, dont reply! simple. if they dont get any replys, maybe they will learn and type normally.

the advantage is that with a forum, you dont have to squash a whole paragraph into say 160 characters or one page on SMS, so use it!

naps

I kind of see where you're coming from here napster. But i think Dan is more annoyed with the:

"lyk" - Like, type of stuff.

IMO, LOL etc have been used widely on the internet for more then a decade.

yeah i know he meant about being un-readable and confusing plus it does make a post look quite random lol.

and yeah your right about the internet rules. i think its fine. doesnt really bother me enough.

naps

I kind of see where you're coming from here napster. But i think Dan is more annoyed with the:

"lyk" - Like, type of stuff.

IMO, LOL etc have been used widely on the internet for more then a decade.

yes :) things like IMO, ROLF, LOL and TBH are fine...

as said its things like ''LYK'' and ''M8'' that does my head in ;)

Well, we as mods here totally agree.

It's just lazy to be honest, ok sure I use the occasional abbreviation now and again, such as what has been mentioned above.

I always try to ensure I use good grammar, punctuation and spelling. I'll even edit posts I've made if I notice anything wrong.

The more you try and make the effort, the better your grammar becomes, which can certainly make a significant difference in your employment, depending on what your job is.

People who are warned about txt speak, might think we are being petty and over the top, but it sure does make a difference when your trying to read and understand what the hell the post is about!

Kev

i dont mind if the occasional text speak creeps in as it can be easy to do and i often dont check what i type untill i have posted it but full sentences made of text speak are annoying and text speak this is longer that the original word that doesnt even make sense :p

To be honest it's not even lazy, because they learn to speak and write properly in school(we presume).

Then they learn a new way of speaking and typing that is a pile of crap.

So basically they took extra effort to make themselves annoying.

Therefore we shall not help them when their fuses rust up.

I must add to this. That the abbrivation "lol" is widely, overused. Next time your IM'ing some people on messenger, see how much they use it.

"What are you doing tonight?"
"nothing lol"

It's just stupid.

I must add to this. That the abbrivation "lol" is widely, overused. Next time your IM'ing some people on messenger, see how much they use it.

"What are you doing tonight?"
"nothing lol"

It's just stupid.

HEAR HEAR!!
Everyone who does that can burn!!!

Yeah does my head in too! I sometimes just delete posts which are unreadable to keep the forums tidy.

Well, we as mods here totally agree.

It's just lazy to be honest, ok sure I use the occasional abbreviation now and again, such as what has been mentioned above.

I always try to ensure I use good grammar, punctuation and spelling. I'll even edit posts I've made if I notice anything wrong.

The more you try and make the effort, the better your grammar becomes, which can certainly make a significant difference in your employment, depending on what your job is.

People who are warned about txt speak, might think we are being petty and over the top, but it sure does make a difference when you trying to read and understand what the hell the post is about!

Kev

somebody didn't proof read their reply..lol (Y):p

i have an idea, txt spk is all because of mobile companies charging you per letter, so it lead to a generation of tards basically. now if the companies charged per word instead, using the phones built in dictionary to define different words so people wouldn't squeeze them all together or anything like that, then it would be much better.

i do use LOL far to much tho! and i am pretty bad for PPL as well,

but i think there is a big difference between forum short hand and txt speak, things like LOL came about because there is no body language in text, thats what all the smilies are about aswell :D so i think they are ok and actually kind of important, common stuff like:

LOL, IMO, IIRC,

are useful as long as everyone knows what they are, other less comon ones are a pain though like:

tl;dr

which, for those who don't know is: To Long, Didn't Read. refering to people who do super posts etc.....and the bible lol

Yeah i totaly agree with what everyone is saying here, and i do personaly use LOL tooooo much.

I tend to end up using it, even when im not laughing. Im talking about the kinda laughs where your shoulders just about move, and you let out a loud puff of air. I usaly think to my self "ha", but let no emotion out..Its kind of radiculous when you think about it, and i dont know why i do it.

(just realised that the above comment may make me sound like i am dead on the inside lol)
WHICH IM NOT, Im actualy a happy guy :)

Back