Swift GTI

Mark

Ex. Club Member
I just wanted to ask what people think of the swift GTI, reason being as my girlfriend wants a car and one of my friends is selling a M reg swift GTI, 71k full service history completely standard,

I drove it and it seems quite good for a 1.3,

what are your thoughts?

i like em, faily nippy, decent engines. Getting a bit old in the tooth now though i dont suppose the body shells are too amazing now got to be showing its age by now on these UK roads.

Thing is that can be said for many cars made in the 80's early 90's!

they are pretty same matched as a 1.3 micra performance wise. Image wise the swift has a litle bit more flair i suppose.

I reckon in standard form the swift has better handling as well as thier rear suspension set up is different to the type micras have.

Both are great cars just what you want to do at the end of the day, micra will be cheaper to insure i suppose than anything with a GTI on it.

Type-R said:
they are pretty same matched as a 1.3 micra performance wise. Image wise the swift has a litle bit more flair i suppose.

I reckon in standard form the swift has better handling as well as thier rear suspension set up is different to the type micras have.

Both are great cars just what you want to do at the end of the day, micra will be cheaper to insure i suppose than anything with a GTI on it.

The k11 micra actually has a stiffer chassis than the swift. :D

Although that has to be expected. The early 90's swift is essentially a facelift of the mid 80's designed swift. Infact this is what lets the swifts down in many ways... Too much power for the chassis and suspension to handle.

A friend of mines and myself happen to be BIG swiftGti fans, hense my name. Easy to maintain, easy to drive and suprisingly cheap on parts!

We once had the gti set up with a set of R1 carbs running 10,000rpm on stanard internals! It lasted 4000 miles on the track untill it bent a few valves... I'd say that pretty good going!

Nice choice I'd say! =]

If you need any addition info, websites or any random questions... don't hesitate to ask!

-JamieGti

totally different cars, but i dont expect mark was expecting us to say "yeah better then a micra". It's a different car to a micra, insuranec is fairly hefty, group 11 iirc. Thing is, getting pretty rare and expensive for decent ones, what you may for an L reg swift she could have a much newer k11 which could be made into similar power, but there are other alternitives then a k11 as you know.

If she does want one, don't let her rush into the first you find, there's a number of things to check like with any car, find out its common problems, faults and maybe even recalls if they were done.

hughes_16v said:
iirc the swift will do 0-62mph in about 9seconds, the micra is around 10.
A good launch will have a gti in the low 8's even high 7's!

You can build up a k11 with the same power but the swift still has more performance oriented gear ratios.fwn

I picked up a M-Reg swift gti with 71k on the clock full service history :) Mot but no tax for £600. its completly standard and i'm very happy with it, needs a few small jobs doing which i am going to sort over the weekend. i'm on my girlfriends insurance policy so will be driving it, we are both 21 and have 1 years no claims and its just over £600 a year. performance wise the swift would laugh at a 1.3 k11.

31544f0f99335cbf.JPG

well obviously they are faster then a k11, goes without saying. Although with some simple bolt ons you can have the GTi sweating, and don't say its not possible mark ;)

is that the one your mate miller was seling? chris told me about it. lets face it ladies and gents, as said before - the K11 1.3 is 75 bhp and the swift gti is 100! no contest.

tommo said:
is that the one your mate miller was seling? chris told me about it. lets face it ladies and gents, as said before - the K11 1.3 is 75 bhp and the swift gti is 100! no contest.

It doesnt always boil down to bhp... weight also comes into it ALOT

lol well i stand corrected, i thought the swift would be heavier :) nevermind... move along

well if you REALLY want to compare a k11 to a swift. Compare it to the 1.3 twincam 75bhp version, GLX. That is a MUCH better comparison tbh.

i only compared the swift gti to a k11 1.3 because they are both 1.3 16v. i'm not going to make any comments about a glx because i dont own one and have never driven one.

Ian i think that you would have to spend a lot on a k11 1.3 micra to make it as fast as a swift gti, as in cams, 4-2-1 and full performance exhaust, remap and induction kit, maybe with all that a k11 might keep up with a standard swift gti.

i've read somewhere that the standard 1/4mile is 16.6 for a swift gti :grinning: which is pretty dam quick

imo nissan should have made a engine the same as what is in the swift gti for the K11,

Mark I dont think you realise but the Swift GTI motor (G13B) is NOT your run of the mill 1.3L like the K11's CG13DE. You cannot really compare them as one is a performance tuned engine from the factory and the other was designed to be just fine for your grandmother to run down to the shops with. :p

Have a look at them for starters. Check out the size of the G13B's head. Its similar in size to an SR20's. Huge valves, big cams standard and very very high flowing head. Infact it probably flows a little TOO WELL for its standard power output - its the overflowed and oversized head which allow the G13B to pump out mind boggling numbers with forced induction, nitrous, etc. Thats what you get when you pay Yamaha to design a head for your motor I guess. Plus they're high compression (10:1). The other thing to notice is the G13B's high redline. These motors are a shorter stroke than the CG13 and suzuki allowed them to rev quite hard.

Apart from that the GTI has a properly developed intake and full exhaust to develop good power - its not just the same exahsut and intake thats slammed onto the base model swift (which is the case with the micra). There's also a decent flowing exhaust manifold.

Infact over here if you go to your local exhaust shop and get a simple cat-back exhaust system with a louder muffler etc you can actually lose power! Thats how good the swift GTI in standard form really is (of course with a properly developed exhaust system you can get improvements).

In the end though it doesnt really matter. Nissan still make a better, stronger and more reliable car engine than suzuki. :D :p

Mark said:
Ian i think that you would have to spend a lot on a k11 1.3 micra to make it as fast as a swift gti, as in cams, 4-2-1 and full performance exhaust, remap and induction kit, maybe with all that a k11 might keep up with a standard swift gti.

tbh a k11 with all them mods, your looking at 120bhp ish, it would leave a GTi thats for sure.

edit: like i said though, i would compare both 1.3 16v 75bhp units together, would make more sense really :)

have to say though, the GTi looks like a good bargain, good to see your prepared to put in the work, they hold their prices well so £600 isnt bad really.

Oh but once you get the CG13DE to make the same sort of power the G13B does standard you've pretty much run out of potential with the little nissan. The suzi will have a bit more left in it if you have a nice big wallet and youre willing to bring stuff in from Japan.

thank you for your insight on the gti Yom, its pretty obvious when i drive the swift that it is a higher performance engine.

Ian, i respect that you know more than me about the cg13 but i still dont believe that a micra could leave a gti with the modifications i listed,
I am however willing to put my money where my mouth is and i will be going to the jap finale on the 8th October. i think there is going to be an msc stand there.

i will be running the swift and i would like to go up against a micra,

mark

mines no good its standard, but juts for comparison dave did a 16.8 without cams ? They are still a nice car, id still have one, but i cant find any close in decent nick, just like every other car i try to find :|

Actually its funny but my goal before I get rid of the micra is to make it at least as quick as a Swift GTI in a straight line.

Starting to think that 0 to 120km/hr is going to be no problem with bolt ons (and not opening up the motor). BUt after that I think I'm going to have some serious issues as the GTI has higher gear ratios and will definately have more top end than I will (even after opening the cg13 and doing headwork - which i really dont want to do because.. well.. the car is too cheap to justify it! I'd rather set it up with a little GT17 and a 5th injector!).

Bah

Back