Swapping gear shifter

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Hey,
Just got my short shifter from cisco and dont really know what to do.
Ive search the forums and could only find this: http://www.geocities.com/diymicra/diy2.html
And its again, not very detailed. Is it that simple? jack the car up, move exhaust guard, undo the bolt? Where does it come out? Top or bottom of the car?
Im planning on starting bright and early tomorrow morning eg. 8am ish :) and need to get it back together by 12. think its possible? Im going to do it without taking the exhaust off.
Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

cisco

» CMF Member
EASILY by 12 mate.

I could do it in about 20 minutes I reckon. Its pretty easy once you've done it once.

Undo all the crap around the gearstick inside the cabin.

Then go back under the car and yeah get the exhaust out of the way if you need to, then undo the two 10mm (I think maybe 12mm) bolts that hold its base frame to the chassis.

And of course undo the pivot bolt that bolts it to the linkage.

Then go back into the car and pull the shifter out through the top. You'll have to pop it out of the socket thing it sits in. Then put the new shifter in its place.

Go back under the car and line it all back up so you can put the bolts back in place. Sometimes much easier if you get someone to sit in the car at this stage and hold the shifter in the right position for you while you are under the car.

Then tighten everything up and away you go! Go put the gaitor etc back in place in the cabin.

One small tip, you need to be careful with how you tighten up the pivot bolt that bolts the shifter to the linkage. A spring washer on the outside is useful because it will allow the nut to lock on there without it being ridiculously tight, and will help it from coming loose later on. Some small washers help in between the shifter and inside the fork thing it sits in and bolts into. These will ensure that when you tighten up the pivot bolt, that you aren't tightening it clamped tight, stopping it to freely pivot and move.. But washers in the right size might be fiddly to find lying around, but are worth their weight in gold.

Otherwise without such washers, don't tighten the pivot bolt too much, otherwise the shifter will be too tight to move when you drive. But a spring washer helps.

Get in there and knock it over!

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Sweeet!!! :D

Thanks a bunch. Sounds pretty easy! Hopefully ill get it all done before it gets hot like i did today with the blinkers :)

Yeh ive got washers and spring washers in good supply. Ill throw a couple on and hope for the best.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
I spent 30mins so far doing this "then undo the two 10mm (I think maybe 12mm) bolts that hold its base frame to the chassis." without moving the exhaust. So far, only 1 bolt out. Main reason of failure, crap socket wrench. Might aswell be using a spanner. *SIGH* anyway, back to the car.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Done. Runs like a dream! Heres a pic of the compared shifters, and also a pic of it installed. Looks like the factory knob doesnt like the shift length. Off to the autoshop for a new gearknob! *sigh*

Attachments

• 13240.jpg
    13240.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 36

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Feels a little rough, as the gear changes are alot tighter, and also i can push the stick down a bit. I doubt this should be happening, and i tightened all the bolts! Weird stuff...

Back