Short Shifter

CMF_Urban

» CMF Member
Hey Fellas, May sound stupid but meh,

What exactly do i need to install the short shifter into my micra?

I recieved my short shifter today (Weird how small it seems :p) And will probally put it in the car tomorrow, or on Saturday.

So i was wondering if anyone could tell me what exact tools i will need..

The packet said to go to : http://www.geocities.com/diymicra/diy.html for instructions on how to install...

But they don't really seem like step by step instructions.

So also if anyone could maybe give me a step by step instructions? Or point me to a site that does?

Thanks for any help, Cameron.

CMF_Urban

» CMF Member
Well.....

mmm....

Down right utterly defeated. Lol.

Today, Decided mays well give this short shifter a go.

Went down to Super Cheap Auto, Bought the 2500kg jack (I know, overkill but i don't care, lol). 2 Jack stands (1200kg support each). A socket Set and a Screw driver set.

Though to myself... Right. I got this bad boy.

Car's up, Stands under, I'm inspecting... "This doesn't look to hard" ....

2 Socket wrenches later... (I broke 2! DAMMIT!) I decided to give up. The micra defeated me. :( So i am going to take it to my uncles when we next visit, Put the micra up on his car lift and use his heavy duty stuff ti pull it right apart.

So still.. The short shifter sits there and mocks me. >=(

Cameron.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Frustrating. I gave up and bought a small electric compressor, rattle gun plus a basic set of tools. Now I can unscrew any nut and even do a half decent job at spray painting stuff.
They are always on special at auto shops.
Short shifter you really need to get it up on a hoist.
Bloody hard to get ant sort of leverage lying on your tummy under a car.
The short shifter mod is worth it. Snick, snick throught the gears.

CMF_Urban

» CMF Member
Yeah, I'll have to post pictures of my uncles garage.

(No he is not a mechanic, It is purely for his hobbie/interest in older ford muscle cars)

He currently owns:

1970 Sheldy Mustang GT500
XC Cobra
XB GT Coupe (Currently pulled right apart, His next project)
EL GT Limited Edition
Ford Bronco.
Ford Fairmont Ghia

-----

He is crazy. It's a double story shed, Has a Car Hoist (The car right up about you) ... Ahhh It's sweet.

I just think of the possibilies of owning it... And having his job.

So i think my next endevour will be to take it to his house, And have him help me. Lol.

*Eyes off the short shifter mocking him*

Cameron.

CMF_Urban

» CMF Member
Oh and to answer your question.

No it wasn't trying to get the cat off...

I looked at the cat and thought it'd be way to fiddly... So i tried to take the exhaust off at the front... And that 1 nut if where i broke the socket wrenches.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Unless an exhaust shop has been under there and stuffed the threads of the 2 bolts holding the flanges together!

*curses*

I eventually just unhooked the whole exhaust system, let it drop and pushed it out of the way. Was still tight but easier than trying to do it with the damn cat sitting directly beneath the shifter!

Hehe Urban... Can I query you as to how pissed off you'll be if you pull your stock shifter out and find that the main pivot ball on your stock shifter is a totally different size to that of the short shifter? Don't laugh. This happened to me. Boy was I cut.

Anyway, i digress. Good luck at your uncles! Sounds like he has a mighty fine workspace setup!

CMF_Urban

» CMF Member
I don't think the word to use would be pissed off ^_^.

I'd be down right utterly in a rage. **** would fly, and things would be broken. And this, would be an under statement.

Maybe i should just sell Tic Tac and buy Bosito's beast... Has everything i wantto do to my car on it...

We'll see! Just need to try convince my dad for a loan. =P

Cameron.

Back