Struggling in the mornings

Hi all. My Micra is really struggling in the mornings now - this is exacerbated by going up a steep hill as the first thing I do. It seems to judder and struggle as I go up - it seems like sometimes there is power going through the wheels and sometimes it is just revving the engine. I have found my fuel consumption has got worse - I am getting around 200-210 miles on 3/4 of a tank whereas a month ago I was getting closer to 250. Anyone got any ideas?

Is it just in the morning your having hill trouble?

The fuel consumption difference could be down to where you get your fuel? some people dont believe it but im sure with petrol , iv checked it so many times and when i buy from somewhere i trust to be good branded fuel i get my mpg , anywhere where i cant be so sure i almost always loose mpg ,

Is the clutch slipping? When not moving, put the car in 2nd, put the hand brake on and gently try to pull away at about 2k RPM, does the engine stall and the car try pull forward? Or just rev and go nowhere?
Also, what happens if you let the engine warm up before you set off up the hill?

Hi thanks for your replies. The hill problem seems to resolve itself after 5-10 mins of my commute so I guess I'm better letting the engine warm first. I tried to pull off in second with the handbrake on and it almost stalled... hoping that's a good sign?

Hi thanks for your replies. The hill problem seems to resolve itself after 5-10 mins of my commute so I guess I'm better letting the engine warm first. I tried to pull off in second with the handbrake on and it almost stalled... hoping that's a good sign?

yes, that is a good sign :)
Im not the best with carbs but sounds like it could be cold start enrichment (or possibly lack of).
Does it run fine once warm then?
I think if i was you i would pull the spark plugs and see what colour they are (post pics up here if you can).
@h701micra you got any ideas?

Funnily enough I changed the spark plugs yesterday at a massive cost of £8.08 (love the cheapness of parts!). It doesn't seem to have changed anything though. It's ok when warmed up and even when I go home ( car has been sat idle for 8 hours)

Funnily enough I changed the spark plugs yesterday at a massive cost of £8.08 (love the cheapness of parts!). It doesn't seem to have changed anything though. It's ok when warmed up and even when I go home ( car has been sat idle for 8 hours)
sounds like damp conditions effecting it eh ? you could try some damp-spray/wd40 or whatever over the cap and leads :)

Back