stiff gearchange

I have looked at all the various posts, my gearchange is very stiff especially going from 2nd to 3rd and from 4th to 5th, although its my runabout, the wife uses it occasionally and I cant see her mastering it, so I will have to get it fixed by someone asI don't have the time or ramps etc;

before I go further, is it the universal joint between the gearbox and gear linkage that is the problem, have I got that right, and does anyone have a pic of what it looks like?

thanks

dave

yup the old greased metal universal joint bushing located near the gearbox tends to dry & rust then bind up before wearing out loose.

take the selector rod out and dismantle the joint apart to wirebrush the rust off and regrease.
one of the bush rivet will need grinding off.

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg

if caught early, then u can just wirebrush & regrease the bush.
if the rust has worn out the outer plastic bushing, it'll feel slack after cleaning. fixed by replacing the inner or outer bushing or just replace the whole assembly

4.jpg

yup the old greased metal universal joint bushing located near the gearbox tends to dry & rust then bind up before wearing out loose.

take the selector rod out and dismantle the joint apart to wirebrush the rust off and regrease.
one of the bush rivet will need grinding off.

View attachment 51484 View attachment 51485
View attachment 51487

if caught early, then u can just wirebrush & regrease the bush.
if the rust has worn out the outer plastic bushing, it'll feel slack after cleaning. fixed by replacing the inner or outer bushing or just replace the whole assembly

View attachment 51486
fantastic, thanks so much, really helpful
dave

Back