Poor & notchy gearchange on a '98 1.3 GX

I've got a 1998 1.3GX & the gearchange on it is rubbish (to put it bluntly) :(! I'm told that this could be caused by the bushes/universal joint type thing at the end of the rod (that links the gear lever to the gearbox) being worn/distorted. I've replaced the little spring, that often breaks & causes problems, so I know that this is ok. I've also removed the rod, freed off the universal joint type thing (it was seized solid), lubricated everything as much as possible to & then put it all back together again! This has improved things quite a bit but the gearchange still isn't very good. I still can't get a clean change from 1st to 2nd - it always feels notchy & sometimes won't even go into the gear! Until the car is warmed up & has a couple of miles under its belt the gearchange is poor when I'm changing into any gear! The gearchange improves the more the car is driven so that 2nd - 3rd, 3rd - 4th, 4th - 5th (& vice versa) are all reasonable (certainly much better than when the car was cold) but it's never what you'd call slick.

It's almost like the clutch is lazy & not disengaging before I select the gear I want to change into. I know it's a cable operated clutch so could it be that the cable is worn/partially seized & needs replacing? The cable looks ok (though obviously the inner cable that actually moves is hidden) & the pedal feels ok too.

I've been told that the bushes/universal joint type thing aren't available from Nissan & that you have to buy the whole rod complete - at about £70+!!! Can anyone confirm this?

Many thanks in advance :)

pollymog

if the clutch bite is low (ideally 2-3" of pedal travel before it bites) then it could be a cable problem ?
if not try a thinner g/oil

Think the 1.3 just has a different box. My 1.0 LX had an awesome shifter which was really precise and short travel whereas my 1.3 GX is kinda slack in comparison. The stick travel is longer and it's less precise going into gears. Not convinced it's just mine because the other 1.3 I drove was the same.

im ha sit too ive just put a clutch kit in it and while the box was out put new oil in it, that has made it a bit better but it is still there.

Back