Gearchange Quality

My current version...1999 1.0ltr four door with 75,000 miles up,has quite a notchy gearchange quality.
It's easy to "beat" the synchro in 2nd and 3rd gears and the general feel of the gearchange is best described as "Notchy".
Contrast this with my (now retired) 1996 1.0ltr 3 door,165,000 Miles with a silky smoooooth gearchange...
I drained the gearbox oil,and cleaned some swarf off the magnetic plug,but it seemed ok otherwise.

I refilled it with Gear-Oil to spec,but I've since had a conversation with a local Gearbox "Whizz" who sez the current crop of synthetic and semi-synthetic ENGINE Oils will more than suffice in a Micra Gearbox,and will usually give a better gearchange quality....Question for the faithful here...Is this true or am I being tango'd ??

check for worn loose gear linkage bushes which causes notchy 1st/2nd gear selection and rattling 5th
Thanks Pollyp,I was aware of that issue from my old model...so It was my first port of call...The current one is fine,no slop and just the right amount of movement I think....I'm starting to think Synchro-Hubs or worse :( ...forgot to mention that I also added a tube of Molyslip in an attempt to slither things along !!

check for worn loose gear linkage bushes which causes notchy 1st/2nd gear selection and rattling 5th

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

@pollyp Do you know where I can get new gear linkage bushes? Mine is worn out ATM so I need get new bushes ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either get a good condition linkage from a similar litre facelift, custom lathe a new bush or upgrade to ball bearing joint.

Is it like this @jk9194
1404119397767.jpg

Back