sticky stiff gear changes

stokie1985

Ex. Club Member
Hi guys and gals, hope you all had a good crimbo. I bought a 1995 nissan micra 1.3 lx (manual) yesterday. She has 12 months mot on her with no advisories. I bought her from newhaven and drove her back to stoke on trent, which is over 220 miles. However, when selecting any of the gears, it feels quite stiff and a little bit sticky. The clutch is fine and doesn't slip. I know this because I drove her all the way from newhaven to stoke on trent and also checked it. It feels like the gear are not aligned up properly. For example 1st is where 3rd should be and 2 feels like its where 4 should be. My mechanic has told me to bring it to his garage on thursday and said he'll have a look, but I thought I would ask you lot on here first, to see what you all think. I've read a few threads on here, where people have said adjust the clutch, and clean the linkages/ rods etc and regrease them. I really want to enjoy my micra to the full, but at the moment I aint because it feels like a burden because of the stiff gear changes I have to make. I've had several micras but this is my 1st 1.3 version. Please help me if you can. Thanks.

Ryan.

Hi guys and gals, hope you all had a good crimbo. I bought a 1995 nissan micra 1.3 lx (manual) yesterday. She has 12 months mot on her with no advisories. I bought her from newhaven and drove her back to stoke on trent, which is over 220 miles. However, when selecting any of the gears, it feels quite stiff and a little bit sticky. The clutch is fine and doesn't slip. I know this because I drove her all the way from newhaven to stoke on trent and also checked it. It feels like the gear are not aligned up properly. For example 1st is where 3rd should be and 2 feels like its where 4 should be. My mechanic has told me to bring it to his garage on thursday and said he'll have a look, but I thought I would ask you lot on here first, to see what you all think. I've read a few threads on here, where people have said adjust the clutch, and clean the linkages/ rods etc and regrease them. I really want to enjoy my micra to the full, but at the moment I aint because it feels like a burden because of the stiff gear changes I have to make. I've had several micras but this is my 1st 1.3 version. Please help me if you can. Thanks.

Ryan.

Just to note, I can change the gears ok, but there just abit stiff and not aligned properly.

underneath the car you will see the gear linkage a little white spray grease and a little work can loosen it a little

hope this helps
Thanks for your advice mate, I ain't really good at mechanics but I wouldn't find it hard to spray abit of white spray grease on the gear linkage to see if that improves it a little.

sounds like a combination of seized rusty bushes (stiff movement) and worn loose bush surround (hard to select 1st/2nd)

the ferrous steel bush in the linkage joint that's exposed to all the years of road spray n salt is prone to corrosion. once the rough oxide starts to build up, it jams against the soft plastic outer bush making the joint stiffer and then slowly wears away the hole larger and so the gearstick can't move the gearbox mechanism far enough to align with 1st/2nd gear.

first try to clean n regrease the metal bush and hope the plastic bushing isn't too damaged.
if the plastic bushing is worn to loose then the only remedy is either to replace the metal & plastic bushing with a better condition one
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-6#post-400718

or replace the metal bush with ball bearings
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-5#post-398037

or replace the whole metal/plastic joint with ball bearing
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-48#post-505612

Back