K11 Autobox - stiff gear select

Hi guys,

I have tried searching for a definite resolution to this problem on the internet and on here to no avail - so I wonder if you guys can help.

Our Micra (K11 1.3 SLX auto) has a stiff gear selector - drives beautifully when in gear, and isn't so stiff that it required brute force, but I want to get it sorted so it doesn't get worse.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks in advance! (Y)

mines the same ..conclusion is that it will most likely be the powder clutch failing(costly):(

I was hoping that wasn't the case to be honest :glare:

I've read about scores of articles on it now and there are two common consensuses on the problem - which I understand is massively common. First is it could be bearings that need lubing in the selector itself and the second is adjustment on the link to the gearbox.

Correct me if I am wrong, which is more than likely :laugh:, but is the electromagnetic clutch not the link between the gearbox and the engine rather than the selector and the gearbox? I'm reasonably confident with the other cars I have owned, just not this one as we only got it today :)

If it's the gear selector (gearstick) then the lever on the gearbox is probably just caked up with road salt and needs a good old clean with wd40, no big worries.

I can't remember if the linkage is on the front or the back of the box (it's been a while since i did an auto), but to find it just jack up the car and from underneath follow the selector cable (from the gearstick) along to where it eventually connects to the linkage.
The rest is a simple but messy job, i sprayed the linkage with wd40 let it soak in for 5mins, sprayed it again and then used an old toothbrush to scrub it clean. Toothbrushes are brilliant for getting right into the little gaps and tight spaces.
Rince it off by blasting with wd40 at close range and then if you wanna grease it up that's optional, i used copper grease when i last did it. I also use it on the manual gearbox linkages too, works a charm. (Y)

I can't remember if the linkage is on the front or the back of the box (it's been a while since i did an auto), but to find it just jack up the car and from underneath follow the selector cable (from the gearstick) along to where it eventually connects to the linkage.
The rest is a simple but messy job, i sprayed the linkage with wd40 let it soak in for 5mins, sprayed it again and then used an old toothbrush to scrub it clean. Toothbrushes are brilliant for getting right into the little gaps and tight spaces.
Rince it off by blasting with wd40 at close range and then if you wanna grease it up that's optional, i used copper grease when i last did it. I also use it on the manual gearbox linkages too, works a charm. (Y)

Fantastic, that is just what I was hoping for!

Really appreciate the help, from everyone!

(Y)

Back