Extremely Stiff steering

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
Do early K10's have stiff steering ? The one I have is an 88 "F" plate 998 auto and the steering is stiff to turn? Or is it the rack stuffed? There is no knocking on any lock steering doesn't clonk or go loose it remains stiff to turn

Charlotte

Nope. Ems's datsun (85) is very light, and a piece of cake compared to my 92! Alloys & tyres makes a huge difference there though. Check your tyres are inflated enough, could be as simple as that.

i had that once on an old car stiff steering until i realised the steering lock was stock on....lol............have you hit anything could be a bent rack..

I haven't hit anything but no telling what the previous owner has done considering the car is 19 years old with a genuine 38k on it, I have service history upto 35k !!!

The car is running on 145R12's, yesterday I had all the wheels off and gave everything a good greasing it seems to have soften up a touch but not massive. Am I right in reading the early K10's, pre 89, ran on 13 inch wheels and not 12's

Charlotte

if the struts are very old then the stearting bearings at the top of the strut can get really stiff....so stiff in fact that if the strut is removed it takes a LOT of force by hand to even turn the top section!!

WHen I got my new springs and struts...I treated myself to new top assemblies too...the difference was UNBELEIVABLE!

My pull to the neerside disspeared with this too

heres a few snapshots showing the parts...the bearing is the white plastic disc..this works against the black painted metal surfaces above and below...the black rubber ring is a dust seal

Any use?

Attachments

• 100_2763.jpg
    100_2763.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 273
  • 100_2772.jpg
    100_2772.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 237
  • 100_2773.jpg
    100_2773.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 223
  • 100_2793.jpg
    100_2793.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 239
It a lot of help when you put about a nearside pull as guess what mine is pulling to the nearside too.

Are the parts available from any motor store or Nissan?

I gave all the steering rack a greasing today removed the wheels/discs/pads/calipers refitted everything toqued it all down and the steering is a lot lighter except on full locks although I'm guessing this is normal. I'm thinking about replacing all the springs soon anyhow so wil see how it steers then

Charlotte

You really should keep to nissan oem on bits like this :)

Yeah, and in this case I think these parts are "main dealer only" parts anyway...The bits aren't the cheapest coming from Nissan but after 17 years of service on the rusty old parts....I decided the cost of the replacement parts was justified..I think the total bill for all the bits for both sides was somewhere near £200....

not including shocks and springs

my shocks were £24 each for fronts and £9 each for rears....the springs were a set of 435mm lowered progressively wound for around £100 i think??

so somwhere in the region of £350 total for a full alaround replacements

fitted by self so no labour

I've now fixed cause of the stiff steering. Now I've fixed the broken gearbox mount the steering is light as a feather now I'm concerned that I've done damage to the drive shafts and steering

Charlotte

Back