Steering Problem

CMF_klockwork

» CMF Member
I have a 1998 nissan micra 1.0 petrol K11. Ever since I bought it nearly a year ago it's had a problem with its steering. When I got it, it was awful, the front passenger side shock was burst and the steering rack was badly damaged. I got both these parts replaced and now the car gives quite a nice ride, the sterring isn't loose or dangerous as it was before. However the car pulls to the left hand side quite badly (however this is easily controlled by holding the wheel very lightly) and the steering wheel in its neutral position sits slightly to the left of centre. When driving If I am to centre the wheel, the car pulls to the right instead so I am forced to drive the car with the wheel slightly to the left of centre to keep it going in a straight line. The steering wheel is slightly loose feeling in the centre of its range of movement but any movement of the steering wheel, even slight produces a movement of the cars wheels so I don't think there is anything wrong with the rack. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the problem with it? My mechanic reckons that finding the problem could be costly becuase it could involve changing wishbones, springs and other parts on both sides of the car. I don't have much money to spend on it but could probably afford to change a couple of parts if the problem could be narrowed down to them.

Back