Starts then dies?

Right so I finally get round to starting Charlie for the first time since September.

But all that happens is..

Fires up, revs climb to approx 4k then drops rapidly, splutters and dies.

If I hold the throttle open, she'll keep running, if I let off she dies.

I can't hold the throttle open for long seeing as I'm in a small garage and I don't fancy killing myself :)

The only thing that I've removed that'd affect the running is the dizzy but I put that back as I found it or at least I hope I did.

dunno if you can manually adjust the dizzy, but I'd try retarding the timing a bit. Also, does it smell rich or not?

has the TB been tinkered or replaced since it last ran?

my usual idling remedy is to remove that damn waxstat cam mechanism, clean/free the IAV (recalibrate preferably), open the idle screw abit so it'll certainly fire up but idle too high, start her, as she idle revs too high you gradually close in the idle screw until she cold idles at bout 1300rpm, check dizzy is at 15deg with a strobe.

once shes warm, recheck the dizzys at 15deg and idles 750rpm.

TB hasn't been messed around with, only took it off and put aside so I could do a few other things.

Timing is probably off but I don't have a strobe to check, come to think of it I don't have a running car to check it either :p

Remove the plugs off some of the modules one at a time from the throttle body to see if it behaves differently, personally, my old fiat did this when my ICV was malfunctioning and needed a clean.

Unless its a maf issue

Right had her out of the garage and still no joy

I wound the idle screw out almost all the way which helped a little.

Could it be that I don't have the carbon canister attached or my battery could be completely knackered

I'm going to re attach the c/c and try again.

I accidentally broke the master cylinder vacuum connection, would that cause running issues?

Sounds like an air leak making it very weak on start up hence dying after high revs, you need to sort the m/c vaccum connector and plug up the carbon canister pipe.

Sounds like an air leak making it very weak on start up hence dying after high revs, you need to sort the m/c vaccum connector and plug up the carbon canister pipe.

Job for tomorrow :)

If that doesn't work any more suggestions cause in really at a loss

is distributor cap and rotor are ok? its better to check with these now. it be might one of them.

fuel pump and fuse? are they ok?

have you connect with carbon canister and vacuum pipe?

Back