Squeek at start up..

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,

When i first start my car from cold it squeeks for about 5 seconds while starting, how do I stop this and what do you think it could be?

Thanks in advance :)

thats what i was thinking, but trouble is where its not for log at all, its hard to find which one, i havent had this car long and i was told that it had all new belts etc the day before i got her, which is visibly clear and you can see them on the parts list, could it just be where they havent quite worn in yet?

just push on the alternator & waterpump belt with finger and it should just deflect bout 3mm. if its more, the tensioner just needs winding up abit.

belts just need changing if the grooves are either cracked heavily or glazed from excessive slipping

see the big crank pulley that the thick alternator belt goes to? the seperate thinner waterpump belt goes from the inner part of that crank pulley up to the waterpump at back of engine

i doubt if its the waterpump one, i run mine very slack (without the idler/adjuster)

P4050092.JPG

This is where the squeek is coming from, but the adjusters is abit weird on my car and according to haynes the wheels and inner wheel arch has to come off before it can be adjusted, so i can have a look at that this weekend when my car goes up on stands..

This is where the squeek is coming from, but the adjusters is abit weird on my car and according to haynes the wheels and inner wheel arch has to come off before it can be adjusted, so i can have a look at that this weekend when my car goes up on stands..

not to adjust the alternator belt you dont. you must be reading about some thing else.try abit of washing yp liquid on it see if that helps

Could be the bearings in the alternator. I got a machine at work that squeeks for a few seconds on start up if left for a while (which reminds me, i must change it tommorrow)

hmm, pushing the the belt feels a little bit too loose, and haynes says the only way to get to the bolt is from inside the wheel arch which is just a pain to be honest..

Back