Micra k11 cold start problems?

Hi guys,
My partner has recently purchased a k11, 1995 1 litre, it passed its MOT in December with no minors or majors!
Unfortunately when we purchased it the petrol cap was missing, we thought this may have caused problems but replaced it fairly quickly, some water may have leaked into the fuel, however we have drained the current fuel and refilled it.
The past week or so we have started having problems with starting the engine after around 6 or more hours, it sometimes takes a few key turns to eventually turn on and will stall a few times for the first few minutes, after this it runs smooth as a nut with no other problems. Revving the engine before moving doesn't make any difference, it seems to cut out before reaching 20mph and doesn't always start up again first time.
Ive heard it may be the throttle body, however we have no idea what to do! Unfortunately from past experience, garages around my area are extortionate and usually don't rectify the problem (we are based in Cardiff)
We seem to have found a decent one, however you can never be sure, they informed us they would need to do diagnostics and we are looking at around £200 for a throttle body fix. Is this a fair price?
What else could be wrong with our little micra? It hasn't been serviced in a looong time, and probably needs new filters, oil (its a horrible black color!) and spark plugs, however I don't think these would cause such problems? Also how much would we be looking for a basic service? (Halfords quoted £140, which I think is ridiculous) Ive considered fitting these myself but I have only have experience with electrical equipment and wiring.
Many thanks, hopefully its not terminal!
Josh

The basics are so easy to do, please don't pay Halfrauds all that money! Grab yourself a Haynes manual and think of it as a learning experience...

I certainly wouldn't pay halfords for the service, however the throttle body is a little out of my depth! (The £200 quote is from a seperate garage though, I daren't ask halfords a price) The spark plugs, filters and oil I will probably end up doing if I can't get a decent price :/
Does the problem sound like the throttle body?

Hello Meredith, there are plenty of threads on here to do with the throttle body. Do not pay the shiezters at the garage that sort of money. Throttle bodies on E bay anywhere from £35 to £600! make sure you buy the right one if you have too.

Thanks Pollyp, might not be what's causing the problem but it looks like an easy fix, definitely worth a try!
Brought a new throttle body, now unfortunately I've been quoted £80 to fit one, and £40 to run a diagnostics check, I'm going to phone some garages on Monday and see if I can find a more reasonable price. £120 seems very steep again as ive heard its an easy fix, and a diagnostics should be free if there guaranteed your business?
Anyway things are looking grim, I've got experience with electronics and soldering, I learnt by just digging in so surely its worth a try! What's the worst that can happen if I get something wrong? Were covered by breakdown cover and have a few hundred saved for any emergencies. I've heard you have to reset the ECU if it has reported a fault code with the throttle body, do I need to worry about this?
So ill be purchasing this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...Product/partNumber/7004353.htm&referrer=COJUN
A used but refurbished throttle body for £50, NGK spark plugs, 5w-40 fully synthetic oil and air, oil and fuel filters.

Baring in mind this will be my first time mechanically altering a car, any advice or guides will be appreciated, or if its a bad idea let me know! Ill probably be using a Haynes manual PDF (there's a link on here for one somewhere, although I'm not sure which section ill need) and taking pictures of each step so I can reference for putting it all back together again, whilst I'm at it I might as well post a guide on here if all goes well with pictures (there's a lot of advice on here, but no guide for idiots like me ;) Only a soldering one somewhere)

Going to give it a go later today when the throttlebody arrives, along with a service (maybe not the oil, its a bit sketchy as were in the centre of Cardiff on a busy road!)
Purchased a T bar spark plug wrench, completely forgot the allen key! Ill cross that bridge when I come to it, luckily there's a Halfords and DIY store nearby.
At the end of the day if I mess up horribly or cant change it, an affordable garage would charge half of that to repair it again anyway, so if the worst comes to the worst ill have to ring around (or make myself scarce whilst my partner drives and called breakdown cover!)
Cheers Skymera, it's possible ive ordered the wrong body, I haven't had the chance to check the part number, I've been told its compatible but you never know! If not ill probably purchase one of you :)
Is there any last bits of advice from anyone? Ill be using a haynes manual but I cant find which section contains the plugs. Ill be reusing the gasket if its not cracked, do I need to lubricate any parts or use a sealant? Is it worth leaving the oil if I have no chocks and im on a public road? Are there any other jobs worth doing whilst im there (Ill be cleaning out the dizzy cap if I can, thanks pollyp)

the oil filter change is usually a mission josh, awkward to get to and awkward to get a filter wrench onto (dont break the nearby oil pressure switch !, and lube the seal on the new filter)

Back