Spark Plugs

nathan.warren69

Ex. Club Member
Hi Guys,

Any Recomendations on Spark Plugs?

Currently i have NGK Iradiems and just wondered if there were anything better such as the Bosch super 4's?, What are you guys running and what do you reccomend?

also have you noticed any performance gains, econamy gains, better respose etc?

Thanks in advance.

I run NGK BKR7E-11, which are just the same as standard recommended plugs, (BRK5E-11), just 2 heat grades colder due to running more power than stock.

What you have will be fine and being Iridium will last longer than a standard Cu core plug.

Anything is better than Bosch Super 4, please don't swap out the plugs you have for them :eek:

Thanks for the advice, ill keep mine where they are then :) is there a way to upgrade the coil pack and also what improvements would this give? thanks

NGK iridium are about as good as it gets plug-wise. Never heard of after-market coilpacks o_O.

I run NGK BKR7E-11, which are just the same as standard recommended plugs, (BRK5E-11), just 2 heat grades colder due to running more power than stock.

What you have will be fine and being Iridium will last longer than a standard Cu core plug.

Anything is better than Bosch Super 4, please don't swap out the plugs you have for them :eek:

I changed to these when I did my last service and have no bother with them, they're really good imo

tbh i really rate the bosch super 4s they need a bit of gapping to get the most of their potential. if you've got silly money (£50 each so £200 for a set) you could get surface discharge spark plugs. rather than having a prong or bit of metal built into the plug to discharge to, they spark to the piston. this creates a much larger spark that travels through the fuel/air mix, thus igniting it further.

so:

Standard plugs: £14 a set

advantages: originality
disadvantages: small spark

bosch super 4s: £18 a set

advantages: can be gapped up to around 3mm (see EBB dudes blogs), producing a larger spark and a more efficient burn. also, on a small scale, increase compression ratio.
disadvantages: none really over standard plugs. £4 more expensive!

surface discharge plugs £200 a set

advantages: a large spark sent perfectly through the air/fuel mix. this increases the burn efficiency as well as the flame propogation speed (how fast the fuel ignites)
disadvantages: monstorously expensive and will only last 10,000 miles.

Back