Shell for sale (comes with free QG16DE)

smidge

» CMF Member
thought i'd post here to see if there's any interest in the shell i bought from crze on here recently, don't need it anymore as i've got the K10 running well and 1 car eats enough money as it is!

anyone want a project? Cars in southern sydney.

for more info shoot me an PM/email

smidge

» CMF Member
fred its perfect for an EV... thats what i'd do with it if i had the money

www.evcapri.com

is a pretty good watch to see how easy it is

fred make your decision quick mate i'm gonna be calling around the scrap yards to get what its worth in metal..

here's what it looks like at the mo...

smidge

» CMF Member
no longer comes with the 1.6 unless you're really keen...

comes with a ton of random spare bits, shocks, bolts, brackets, pulsar rear seats and other stuff... this is the same way it'll go to the wreckers so grab it while its still here!

Attachments

• 39767.jpg
    39767.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 19
smidge WROTE:

"fred its perfect for an EV... thats what i'd do with it if i had the money<BR><BR><A title=http://www.evcapri.com href="http://www.evcapri.com" target=_blank>www.evcapri.com</A><BR><BR>is a pretty good watch to see how easy it is<BR><BR><BR>fred make your decision quick mate i'm gonna be calling around the scrap yards to get what its worth in metal..<BR><BR>here's what it looks like at the mo...<BR><BR><BR>

ahah, that's mad, 30seconds to 80km/h. 1/4 mile time? alot of effort must go into designing something like that. good ****

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
Yeah, that Capri project is pretty sweet, I've been following that one closely, as well as Gav's now completed Kiwi EV project at <a href="http://www.kiwiev.com">kiwiev.com</a>. There are heaps of youtube clips for both of those, very well done...

I'm pretty keen to try something too along those lines but it is really going to have to wait at least another year till after my wedding. It's going to have to take a bank loan though to fund it. Something like $10k to $15k for a relatively basic conversion...

Fred, an EV micra would be sweet! I'm sure that you've looked at <a href="http://www.evaustralia.com.au">evaustralia.com.au</a> and related sites? The MX5 project at <a href="http://www.zeva.com.au/registry.php?id=1">zeva.com.au</a> will be pretty cool. He's wanting to build a pretty quick car...

I'm also keenly watching the <a href="http://carsguide.news.com.au/site/motorshows/story/mitsubishi_i_ev_plug_and_play/melbourne">Mitsubishi i-EV</a> which is supposedly coming to Australia late next year. I know I read it somewhere, but can't find the link.

If it ever happens for me I'm hoping to convert my dodgy olds-kool Datto lol. A 1965 Datsun p410 sedan, from back before the days of the Datsun 1600...

At the moment I am collecting parts off ebay, and Datsun forums to get it back up to scratch, I'm wanting it looking pretty much 100% factory standard eventually.

This is it as it is at the moment though, complete with all the previous owners mods, i.e. non standard white vinal roof, venetians, old 1980's supra bucket seats, bump-stop spec suspension, Mazda 1300 hubcaps and white-wall re-treads. It looks pretty cool from a distance, but completely defectable. As it is, I hit a bump at 40km/h and it was enough to snap the welds holding the drivers seat to the floor. Much to say I'm not driving it at the moment.

Take note of the direction the window wipers operate, lol, even basic stuff like washer bottle to spray water at the windscreen was a factory option back then, so I have loaded water pistol in the glove box... If it was just one year older, there'd be a hole in the grill for those occasions you have a flat battery, and you'd have the ability to manually start with the hand crank...

The best thing about modifying something this old is that there were zero ADR's back then which from my understanding means pretty much anything goes... The worst is that replacement parts are a bitch to find, and the idea of buying and stripping a perfectly good one for parts makes me sad.

Sorry for the hi-jack smidge, but the idea of an EV Micra on the site got me excited...

Attachments

• 39770.jpg
    39770.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 24

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
i'm saving for the bits but it'll be a while. If I do it it will have similar performance (impulse9 or 11 motor, 144-192V 72-110hp, Lithium ion batteries with a range of 160-200km) or better performance to what's capable through the standard gearbox.

(i was going to do a parallel hybrid by running 2 15hp motors through the rear wheels but I don't want to take the car off the road)

smidge

» CMF Member
yeah! the EV stuff is mad

i have the same job as the guy doing the EV capri, he's doing well considering he doesn't know the difference between a spanner and a socket i reckon!!!

no apologies needed for hijack, i reckon the EV thing in a micra is like a cross between a real car and messing R/C cars in a way, just without he remote control bit.. (although that would be an AWESOME mod to do too!)

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
I have the trailer, I have the car (availability of wife's corolla unsure atm she's on rehersal at queensland opera atm) wanna gets some bank details smidge so you don't crush it on me!

smidge

» CMF Member
nah mate i trust ya! its safely in the garage but the sooner its gone the sooner the march gets to sleep in doors at night which i'm looking forward to very much

the fact your wife is in the opera is very cool indeed - so she just bought you an extra week and a bit :D

no engine or box means its pretty light at the moment, i would guess maybe 500kgs?

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
So you'd be looking into doing an AC conversion rather than DC Fred? From what I remember it is easier to set up re-gen braking with AC, or it is more effective with AC at least?

I'm still only just getting into all that EV stuff, so still learning. But I'm keen.

Do you think you'd do a clutchless setup though? I'm still not 100% sure why more people who do the conversion do not keep the clutch setup. With RWD set-ups you can go direct drive, so there is no gearbox to worry about, and I know that with electric motors it is impossible to stall the car when getting going from a standing start. But really, after seeing the videos of people trying to change gear once their ev car is moving it looks pretty clumsy without a clutch. I think I'd prefer to keep the clutch and go superlight weight on the flyweel just so that I could swap between 2nd/3rd or whatever nice and smooth.

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
well, I'm leaning Ac induction since regen braking is natural for Ac and difficult and complex DC... Efficiency is higher in AC (remember my daily round trip is ~150km), Wiring in AC is simplier and lighter gauge than DC, will be clutchless since ac has flat torque across its entire rev range (which is higher than dc.. some dc motors rev max 8000rpm, AC rev past 12000 no problem) so you only need to select a gear(2nd, 3rd doesn't matter remember 280-300+ NM plus throughout the rev range) and go, when at cruising speed then change a gear. Brushless DC sounds ok but there is a bunch of ac stuff designed for ev so that's my angle.

CMF_slugman42

» CMF Member
the interior "pop" clips ,splash guard clips, rear shelf hinge etc etc
hey i am also after a front hub ( my bearing is very noisy )
I also live in southern sydney so I can pickup
cheers

smidge

» CMF Member
new bearings both side would be the best thing to do, them and brakes are worth going new wherever possible... i'll check out what clips i've got, a few of mine were replacements just bought in a pack from auto 1, they are pretty cheap

also pick and payless is great for those kind of small things, they'll charge next to nothing

that said i'll see what i've got when i can

Back