Sheet metal (steel)

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
As most know I'm gonna attempt to fix my sills on the micra, the pattern parts will replace most the rust but I need some sheet metal to sort few holes not on the sills.

What thickness is recommended and type (as there's different types of sheet metal)

i no that "gauge" is the thinkness, thats proper welding talk haha! ide say sumic thin, about like CPU computer cover, like that!

Cheers, have emailed for delivery cost.

Now, what about cutting it it sizes I need, whats best way, I have an air compressor so tools are possible

A good jigsaw with a metal blade will cut through a couple of mils of mild steel fairly easily. You could use a hacksaw but it could take a while :laugh:

I heard you English were hard men, just chew your way through it :D

Then threaten it, and if its not so scared that it just jumps on and repairs the sill itself, then your not shouting loud enough!

Regarding your question on cutting sheet metal: In the Frost catalogue(www.frost.co.uk) I've used G120, G115, G175, and G240/G241. The pencut (G120) worked pretty good with an electric drill, until I ran into an unseen weld and snapped the blade. The pencut would be good for cutting that area from the door back to the wheel arch. The Super Sheet Metal Cutter (G115) would do much the same thing but by hand. The others are for cutting and triming to fit, more or less, not for panel cutting. Although I expect they have been used for that. A hacksaw might also be useful for help in removing the old sill.

This is a project that should be of interest to many Micra owners. I hope you take photos of the work in progess.

S

One last thing on cutting sheet metal, Goldstar. go to www.machinemart.co.uk and look up CAT95, air hammer and chisel set.
Just what you need (if you don't already have one) for cutting out the old sill.

And a little friendly advice, which probably seems obvious: If you don't already do so, wear ear protection when using angle grinders, air hammers and the like. I worked in a shop many years ago and we used all these tools and more. We never wore ear protection and I now suffer from a condition called tinitus, a constant ringing in the ears. Seriously screws up your hearing in later life.

S

Cheers, I've tried the grinding without eye gear, could feel bits in my eyes for days, never again, got me some industrial ear plugs now.

That set is nice and cheap, gonna need I think as the idea of removing the stop welds by hand wasn't a nice one
Can you help me with some other tools it'd like/need?

Not sure what it's called but it's basically a mini air grinder, see them all the time on Discovery Channel's car shows, some one welds an area then uses this small air powered grinder to clean the area.
Would this be it?

Go back to the Machine Mart website (there's an outlet in Altrincham, near you?) and search CAT93. It's a small air sander which should do the job.
Although I've never used one, an air tool called a needle scaler (CAT51) looks as though it might be useful for dealing with rust.

It is my understanding that welded areas rust much quicker. Wire brush them and grind down a bit before priming (which you would have
probably done anyway).

S

Cheers again

Am gonna go to that Frost place near me and get chatting, am hoping to locate all the decent shops in Rochdale for tools and supplies

Back