Metal bar under front bumper?

P

Panjabi

Sad news, my rear brakes failed so after using up the stopping distance I hit the car in front (rear bumper). There is only a scratch on her car and the bumper is slightly loose. So what cost are we looking at? If we go private then less than £120? It does not even need a re-spray for such a minor scratch!

To my point... my front bumper was lightly dented in the process. So as my cheap third party fire theft does not cover damage to my car, I have to fix it myself. Took it to a mechanic and he said that there is a 'metal bar' beneath the bumper which is bent (due to impact). So he said he could fix it all for £100 but I don't think it is a wise idea. So I'm going to get the appropriate clips and screws to fix the bumper from the driver side (it seems to be dropping about 1cm and there is a gap). Would it be easy to fix?

I really better get that Haynes manual. The car has given me nothing but grief eversince I brought it.

Too many questions I know but...
Help!

Elliot

Ex. Club Member
The bar under the front bumper, is called a bumper reinforcer bar. This keeps the bumper structually straight, and protects the front of the chassis from impact.

You can usually get a reinforcer bar from a scrappies allready attached to the bumper. It's only bolted to the car with 4 nuts and bolts.

Quick and easy diy job... and if you have body coloured bumpers, just try to find one in a scrappy with is the same colour, therefore you only pay for the bumper and reinforcer and fix it yourself.

-Elliot

EDIT: Don't know why it's censored the word C h a s s i s

OP
OP
P

Panjabi

Cheers geez. I was going out my head there. I think it censored it as it ended with a double 's' and began with an 'a' - a bit too sensitive if you ask me the filter should allow it.

The local scrappy did not have one in my colour. Tornado grey (metallic) is now old and dear I guess so I will keep looking.

Andrew

Club Member
Elliot said:
EDIT: Don't know why it's censored the word C h a s s i s

It's weird, I've seen it twice today, and can't remember seeing it before. A S S isn't really worth filtering is it? It's in a few words, and it's a ancestor of the donkey with longer ears, and buttocks etc. I doubt anyone even finds it rude.

B

Ben

As Elliot says, shoudnt cost too much to fix yourself! Might be worth just t rying to knock that silly reinforcer straight and then put your bumper back on, as for hers i think £120 sounds a bit expensive. Doesnt sound like it was too bad. Sorry anyway been there done that got the t-shirt oh and if it was really your brakes that failed you get them sorted, most important thing on a car

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
What car did she have?

My front reinforcement bar was bent and battered back into position with a hammer. Probably not as strong as it should be now but cheaper than buying another one!

OP
OP
P

Panjabi

Big Ben it was not too bad. There is only a scratch on her bumper and it has become loose from the left hand side. May be it could have already been loose? She said she will take it to the garage but it all depends on which garage she goes to! Her car was a black ford mondeo and it absorbed the impact really well. I took some photographs of the bumper as she said she is going on holiday for one week. God I just want this to be over. I'm going to stop being so cheap and switch to fully comprehensive insurance.

Going to take my bumper off today and will see what can be done with the hammer. Thanks.

James

Chairman
ricardo_swarez said:
i think a-s-s is to minor a word to filter
i'd filter words such as #########################
############################
########################
########################
Consider this an official warning. Grow up.

OP
OP
P

Panjabi

I know this is not a place for general discussion but guess what? The mechanic lied to me. I have trusted this guy for a few years now and he has always done a proper job while I watch but the front bumper bar is not bent in any way at all.

The bumper is simply loose from the driver side but it is not vibrating so... all it needs is a good wack. I can live with it though. We managed to get back up on to the clip and it is not dropping too much now (only a bit) so I will live with it. Scrap yard had one for £80 but it is too much hassle so I'm going to leave it for now.

May buy a body kit with the next pay packet anyway.