Service Parts

Evening all,

Can anyone please guide me about the service parts I need. I need spark plugs, oil and air filter but I am not sure which manufacturer to use as there are quite a few choices out there, like in spark plugs there is NGK and Bosch and probably few others and then there are sub catagerios in them and same with the oil and air filter. I would like to know what most of the knowledgeable members of this forum use. The car is 1.0 S Y reg micra (k11) with 49k miles on the clock and its not modified and I use it for mostly school runs, shopping and to the place of work as i have another car for the weekends.

Thanks for your helpful suggestions and advice

Hi, i use NGK plugs, genuine Nissan oil and air filters, and a good quality ie: Castrol, Mobil 1 etc 10w/40 oil, or a fully synthetic 5w/30 oil.

I use Halfords oil (Its some bigger brand re-branded but the name escapes me.) Bosh super 4's spark plugs and filters from euro parts or Nissan.

Hi there. I've asked Halfords regarding the 10w40 & they said the 5w30 is better for the engine. I bought 4L castrol semi-synthetic 10w40 for £16.99 & 5L Asda brand fully-synthetic 5w30.

Now I dont know which one to take back. Or I might have to refund both & get 4L Castrol fully synthetic 5w30 from Halfords or Asda for £24.00

is it that much dangerous to put 10w40 in a micra? And how many litres of oil does my car need?

My car:nissan micra 2001 1.4 Auto

Unless your engine's on mega mileage, I'd use 5w30. It's thinner and gets better mileage.

Hi there. I've asked Halfords regarding the 10w40 & they said the 5w30 is better for the engine. I bought 4L castrol semi-synthetic 10w40 for £16.99 & 5L Asda brand fully-synthetic 5w30.

Now I dont know which one to take back. Or I might have to refund both & get 4L Castrol fully synthetic 5w30 from Halfords or Asda for £24.00

is it that much dangerous to put 10w40 in a micra? And how many litres of oil does my car need?

My car:nissan micra 2001 1.4 Auto

I'd go with a good quality synthetic 5w/30, the semi synthetic 10w/40 won't harm your engine ( my micra has a full nissan service history upto my ownership and they always used Castrol 10w/40 semi synthetic ) but i like to use better quality oil in my cars so i tend to use 5w/30 fully synthetic Mobil 1, so of the oils you've mentioned i'd with the Castrol 5w/30 as it's at a reasonable price.

thanks 6.5x55 & essexpunx for you responce. I'll return the other 2 & get the 4L fully synthetic 5w30. My micra's milage is 83,000 & its got some service history. few questions:

How many litre's oil will I need to pour in?

what torque would I need to tighten the spark plug (havnt serviced a car myself for 8yrs?)?

I got air,fuel, oil filter & NGK sparkies from AMAZON.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oil-Air-Fue..._1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1301136655&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spark-Plugs...WWTK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301136687&sr=1-2

so are these ok & what other parts would I need to service?

the air con is also empty :(

Haynes manual says 3.1 litres of oil including filter change, put a couple of litres or so in then keep adding oil a bit at a time until you get to the high mark on the dip stick, don't put the whole 3.1 litres in at once as you may get a high reading, as its a pain if you overfill, i tend to use Nissan filters for quality and they're not expensive, but most branded filters are ok, and my air con is empty too :laugh:

thanks again mate. (Y)

how much did niassan charge you for the filters the last time?
air filter:
oil filter:
fuel filter:

and is it worth getting a pollen filter?

Getawaycars service kits look good value to me, i think i paid £6.40 for a genuine oil filter from nissan and i think the sump plug washer is 90p, don't know about air filter i've got an induction kit on mine :laugh:, not changed the fuel filter so couldn't say. A 5w/30 oil is supposed to give better mpg but it's so small you'd never tell, the best thing is, it gets round the engine faster on cold starts and in theory shouldn't need changing so often, but i still change it at around 4000 mile intervals.

Getawaycars service kits look good value to me, i think i paid £6.40 for a genuine oil filter from nissan and i think the sump plug washer is 90p, don't know about air filter i've got an induction kit on mine :laugh:, not changed the fuel filter so couldn't say. A 5w/30 oil is supposed to give better mpg but it's so small you'd never tell, the best thing is, it gets round the engine faster on cold starts and in theory shouldn't need changing so often, but i still change it at around 4000 mile intervals.

thanks. I've refunded asda brand 5w30 & paid the extra for Castrol GTX, already ordered fromm amazon so will get from Getawaycars next service

hey, nobody has mentioned starting the car till the oil light goes out. this is to fill the new oil filter. then check the dipstick and top up accordingly. a common mistake most people make when doing their own oil and filter change. fwn

I couldnt wait for the service on saturday so I went ahead & changed the air filter yesterday as its easy to do. And wow! then amount of bugs trapped int he old filter & it was really black & dirty. I fitted the new filter in but didnt notice much difference. Maybe it'll be ok once I do the rest of the service :grinning:

Hi all. So far I've changed the air filter & had fund changing the oil + oil filter on saturday night. Spent 1 hour looking for the axel stand in my friends garage full of stuff. The oil was really thick & black & lumpy so last owner obliously didnt service it for a long time. Then the filter was hard to remove as the position its in & there's a rod in the way. Finally managed to sort it out & put in Castrol 5w30 :)

The next part is the spark plug. I dont have the kit yet & a friend said he'll led this if I can tell him what size socked I need. Can anyone tell me the size need on a 51 plate 1.4 SE?

thanks

Hi all. So far I've changed the air filter & had fund changing the oil + oil filter on saturday night. Spent 1 hour looking for the axel stand in my friends garage full of stuff. The oil was really thick & black & lumpy so last owner obliously didnt service it for a long time. Then the filter was hard to remove as the position its in & there's a rod in the way. Finally managed to sort it out & put in Castrol 5w30 :)

The next part is the spark plug. I dont have the kit yet & a friend said he'll led this if I can tell him what size socked I need. Can anyone tell me the size need on a 51 plate 1.4 SE?

thanks

hi mate, i cant remember the size. i have 2 spark plug sockets and its the bigger one. you might have the spark plug tool in your tool kit in the boot.

also when you fitted your oil filter did you moisten the rubber seal with some oil? if not you might wanna just check you have no leaks from around the filter. (Y)

hi mate, i cant remember the size. i have 2 spark plug sockets and its the bigger one. you might have the spark plug tool in your tool kit in the boot.

also when you fitted your oil filter did you moisten the rubber seal with some oil? if not you might wanna just check you have no leaks from around the filter. (Y)

erm.. I didnt do that. ouch. I didnt notice any oil where I parked my car. I might check it again. Can I take it off again? I'm thinking all the oils gonna fall out while I'm at it.

My car didnt even come with any car jack. I will got breaker for one of them. i just have the wheel brace & a spare wheel.

erm.. I didnt do that. ouch. I didnt notice any oil where I parked my car. I might check it again. Can I take it off again? I'm thinking all the oils gonna fall out while I'm at it.

My car didnt even come with any car jack. I will got breaker for one of them. i just have the wheel brace & a spare wheel.

you should be alright mate. just keep an eye out. if you dont mind spending a bit of money go to you local halfords and buy a spark plug socket. they've got a bit of rubber in so the socket holds the spark plug while your removing them. take one of the new plugs with you to measure up the socket. (Y)

you should be alright mate. just keep an eye out. if you dont mind spending a bit of money go to you local halfords and buy a spark plug socket. they've got a bit of rubber in so the socket holds the spark plug while your removing them. take one of the new plugs with you to measure up the socket. (Y)

I'll be doing the spark plugs in the next 2 days (hopefully fixes the MPG) :grinning:

Next step would be the fuel filter. Would you know how to change this?

Helps to give the filter a twist to release the hoses.
If you slacken the fuel cap until it hisses the fuel doesn't go everywhere when you pull the hoses off!(Y)

Helps to give the filter a twist to release the hoses.
If you slacken the fuel cap until it hisses the fuel doesn't go everywhere when you pull the hoses off!(Y)

I have tried to take the hose off & its not budging. I had a crazy thought of warming up the rubber with a lighter to loosen it :p:p

are there any other tips?

thanks

plyer on the end bit of hose
twist plyers gently or twist filter to snap loose of hose applying very little pressure to not rip pipe
big headed flat to lever pipe off filter-----use filter for leveridge

Back