first big service - advice

Hey. Following buying my first micra a few weeks ago, i'm planning on doing its first service this weekend. Because i'm new to micra's, i'm after your experience and advice. So far i have these parts:

• Mikayo Air Filter
  • Mikayo Fuel Filter
  • Mikayo Oil Filter + Genuine Nissan Sump Plug Washer
  • Castrol Magnatec Engine Oil 10W-40 (i bought this in bulk for my other car, so might as well)
  • 4 x Denso Spark Plugs - K16PR-U11
  • Gearbox Oil - Carlube 75W90 GL5 (4.5 Litre)

Are there anymore parts i need to do these jobs, or anything else i should be doing at the same time? I'm using my Haynes Book of Lies as a guide to follow, anyone got any useful tips?

Cheers,
Ross

Apart from changing the rearbox oil( I never did this before) the other things a realy straight forward...it will take you about 2 hours.
good luck this weekend with the service and welcome to the club...(Y)(Y):laugh::laugh::p

Cheers for the tip ... i'll keep that in mind.

First job done! I changed the gearbox oil today without hitch, so thats the first box ticked. The old gearbox oil was disgustingly black, so it was a good call! The gear stick is still quite stiff to move left to right though. Any idea why that is or how to fix it?

Thats the fuel filter changed and so another job off the list ... 10 minute job if that! Two tools, phillips screw driver and 10mm socket! really enjoying the ease of working on the Micra! (Y)

Started to look at the universal joint on the gearbox as well, but the heavens opened so had to just coat it in WD40 and leave it at that for now. :( Has anyone done this before and can offer me advice/tips? Does this forum have a hidden "How-To" section i can't find?

frank

Club Member
paul (pollyp) covered the sticking rodchange in his blog iirc ross, and paidup members only, get access to the guides

cheers frank.

Thanks the air filter, oil and oil filter change done too, again, really easy jobs ... so just the spark plugs left to do now ... but my extention wasn't long enough to reach down, so will have to do this again. Still not got round to the stiff gear stick problem.

What about antifreeze? Brake fluid? Adjust the clutch/handbrake?

Try 3 in 1 oil on the gear linkages? You need to make up an extension tube but it seems to work better than WD40 (Works well on squeeky wiper pinions too!)(Y)

Also, I think its great you bought decent oil but why did you buy cheap filters? Nissan ones are only a couple of quid dearer.

Might be worth joining up, Bronze membership gets you access to all the 'hidden' parts of the forum, there are some really good 'How to' guides.

cheers getawaycar. All the fluids will be changed at some point such as anitfreeze, power steering fluid, etc, but not a priority at the moment. I would however like to adjust the clutch, is this easy enough?

When you say ...

You need to make up an extension tube ...

... does this mean i don't need to remove the CAT or the heatshield ... i can just manufacture a bit of pipe to throw a heap of 3in1 in its general direction? (i'm desperate not to have to remove the CAT! haha) :laugh:

P.S. I suppose I chose to scrimp on the oil filters because I find that they are usually made by the same folk, or identical design, anyway, my micra is my 2nd car to commute with, i have another car for spirited driving. :wasntme: