screaching altenator belt

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
When i start my micra the altenator belt screaches like mad untill i put it in drive and move the car a little. Ive checked the tension and it seems ok, not too loose or too tight. Could it mean the belt is on its way out or could it be another problem?

Ryan.

Yea, i can listen to the radio for ages and it will still start the car. But the 1st time it did it, i turned the engine off and felt the pulley wheel on the altenator and it felt very warm to stay i just started the engine.

Ryan.

I dont think its the bearings because i dont hear a grinding noise, just a really loud screach. Tbh i dont really mind about it because soon as i put it into to gear it stops. And if something does go wrong, its only the altenator, unlike if it was a cam belt. Also do 1.2 micra's have cam belts, or are they chain driven?

Belt driven. I have the MA10 engine and I changed my timing belt about a month ago (simply because I just bought the car and didn't know if it had been done yet)...and the MA12 engine is extremely similar.

That's for the K10, which I presume you are on about...the K11 and K12 versions of the Micra have chains as far as I know.

spray some wd 40 on the alternator belt when its making the noise, if the noise goes check the belt for cracks if it isnt cracking then its just a dry belt or under adjusted

spray some wd 40 on the alternator belt when its making the noise, if the noise goes check the belt for cracks if it isnt cracking then its just a dry belt or under adjusted

Would it be bad to spray the inside of the altenator with wd?

Ryan.

an old belt will squeel even if it is adjusted correctly (the side walls of the old belt go shiney and lose friction)

treat yourself to a new one! (belt)

Back