Alternator belt squeaking?

My G/F has a 95 K11. Now that the dark and damp nights have come we have developed a really bad alternator belt squeal. Obviously its worse when we have the lights, blowers and rear window on. It can be quite embarrassing the noise it makes.

Is this just a case of replacing the belt or is there something more sinister lurking? Could I just tension up the belt abit?

Is there any guides on this? Some kind person has borrowed my haynes without returning it!

When i did my K10 belt, you just slacken off the alternator bolts, one is a variable one, push the alternator down a bit to get the old belt off, put the new belt on, then pull the alternator as hard as you can while doing up the bolts...

Pretty easy job, not 100% sure if its the same on k11s

Check it for damage, if it looks a bit shabby, cracked chunks missing just change it, other wise you should only need to tighten it.

i need to replace mine in my k11. So is it just 2 bolts you slacken off then you move the alternator to tighten/loosen?

thought i would drag up an old thread of mine. I really need to tighten up the belt now. I can see the top bolt put I cant work out the bottom bolts, has anyone got a pic?

Attachments

• alt.JPG
    alt.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 3,467
Back