K11 rust???

alfantasti

Club Member (Trial)
The missus has got a '98 K11 1 litre, and although it has been reliable, it seems to have rusted quite badly everywhere on the chassis. And i mean bad :(. Instead of fighting a losing battle treating/replacing parts, i'm gonna buy a later model. Preferably a late 2002 1.4. Can anyone tell me if these later models had better underbody rust proofing, or do they all sucumb to it eventually. I don't want to fork out a couple of grand just to be in the same position in a few years.
Any info would be appreciated (Y)

I dont think they had any extra rustproofing qualities in the second facelift models, but you can always do some rustproofing yourself on a newer one. I took a handy spray can of waxoyl to certain bits under my 52 plate a few months back, need to do a few bits a bit more carefully as its messy stuff!

Sounds like your missus' is worse than your usual micra though? I sold me old '99 20months ago and it was pretty spankin and it was never garaged lol.

A lot depends where the car has been kept,cars in the south tend to last longer than those in the slightly wetter north & coastal cars are best avoided altogether.
Check the logbook before you buy & find where it came from.
A Fiesta sport passed my way a while ago that was exceptionally rotten,I checked the postcode into AA routefinder & the previous keeper lived on the Scottish coast..

have a look at the dear nissan post just now, im rebuilding my supers and rust proofing all the bad parts and people are giving tips as to where the bad points are and how to fix them.

main ones are poor cross member which ets the water lie, hoses that run from the sunroof if you have one which run to the sills and a gap behind the front wheel which lets water spray in.

Back