running in a new micra

hi guys

anyone know the score on running in a brand new micra?

i never had a new car before but i seem to remember you have to run them in.

any one know the score?

cheers chaps

As long as you dont go ragging it for the first 500 miles or so, they dont really need running in. Engines have about 500miles on them before they go in the car anyway to test the engine.

new cars (1998+ ish) dont need running in. But theyre are alot of ways to run an engine. I prefer to run it hard but dont start bouncing off the rev limiter. change gear at like 5k rpm every so often and take it for a good run. Get home drop the oil and put some good stuff in.

new cars (1998+ ish) dont need running in. But theyre are alot of ways to run an engine. I prefer to run it hard but dont start bouncing off the rev limiter. change gear at like 5k rpm every so often and take it for a good run. Get home drop the oil and put some good stuff in.

Now i was always told to take it easy (changing before 4k rpm) for the first 1000 miles with a oil change after the first 500. Best place to check would be the handbook, no doubt it differs between manufacturer and the k12 blocks aren't the strongest ever.

Also "new cars (1998+ ish)" why is that, computer built engine have only been around since the early eighties and all mass produced engines within the last 17 years at least have been built be a robot.

you prefer, talking from experiance are you? its not like your only just 17 is it?

technically you really want to be taking it easy for the first 10k miles but thats rarely going to actually happen on a car forum.

you prefer, talking from experiance are you? its not like your only just 17 is it?

never done a car engine but, ive ran in about 6 engines ranging from rc nitro cars to 4t and 2t bikes.

Running them in gingerly just coats the bores in #### and doest really run them in. It doesnt mater if the engine are hand made or by a robot, they all need running in. but most engines nowadays are ran in at the factory.

I also find it funny how you assume that I know jack #### because im 17. You know nothing about me, I could have a family whos built kit cars as a business (unfortunatly not :() which use brandnew crate motors.

Ryan.

built kit cars as a business (unfortunatly not :() which use brandnew crate motors.

Ryan.

I just work for a company that does.

But just want to make the point 5000rpm is quite hard revving for a new engine, especially if its not under load, taking it easy for a 1000 miles before 4krpm is best these days.

I don't remote control cars so wouldn't be able to comment.

I just work for a company that does.

But just want to make the point 5000rpm is quite hard revving for a new engine, especially if its not under load, taking it easy for a 1000 miles before 4krpm is best these days.

I don't remote control cars so wouldn't be able to comment.

rc car engines are like 2t motors but use a different fuel and are alot smaller.
I wouldnt dare rev it to 5k without the engine being at normal operating temp. but 1000miles is alot fwn I would go to about 300 miles "#####-footing" it (less for the smaller the engine. rc cars only need about an hour or 2 of gentle driving and the old blip of the throttle)

these days in age you dont have to stick to the rules on breaking in a new engine from factory, as they are tested at factory near enough on the rev limit ive been told, but you should still stretch the engine a little bit but sayin dont go over a certain rpm isnt needed

only when they are rebuilt in dealers or garages will they need beding in properly

IIRC most engines are bench tested for a few hundred miles just before the limiter before they get put into a car.

rc car engines are like 2t motors but use a different fuel and are alot smaller.
I wouldnt dare rev it to 5k without the engine being at normal operating temp. but 1000miles is alot fwn I would go to about 300 miles "#####-footing" it (less for the smaller the engine. rc cars only need about an hour or 2 of gentle driving and the old blip of the throttle)

1000 miles absolutely nothing, millions of people drive like that every day with out a problem. lol
Just what i was taught at work, maybe there isn't a need to nowadays, although i still would just like i will service my car every 6000 miles regardless of what the manufacturer says.

1000 miles absolutely nothing, millions of people drive like that every day with out a problem. lol
Just what i was taught at work, maybe there isn't a need to nowadays, although i still would just like i will service my car every 6000 miles regardless of what the manufacturer says.

it is to run an engine it o: My car will be serviced every 6k aswell when its on the road.

Back