Rally Micra - Running Issues

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
We have a '95 (M-reg) 1.0Ltr Micra which has done probably the toughest rally in the country. However during the event it developed an issue which i thought was related to the cat's.

However after removing the exhaust i have found that both cat's are in perfect working order. I thought the very cold water had caused them to break up, and block the exhaust.

The issue with the car is that it has limited torque and power (even less than normal) it will struggle to get to 40 in 2nd for example. However you can rev the nuts off it with the car out of gear and it will run fine. I thought it was the cat's as i had this with another car on the same event a few years ago and removing the cat solved the issue.

So i am now at a bit of a loss as to what to do next. I few ideas i have are :-

1.) Remove the inards of the cats as that will release a few horses, unless someone local wants to swap them for duff ones since these look fine. This will release a few horses for free :)

2.) My other thought this afternoon out in the cold was that a lot of cold/muddy water went through the throttle body (TB). I think the micra runs a 'hot film wire' to measure the air intake temp. This could easily have been hit with the water a lot of times during the event. Could this have been damaged and if so would it give these symptoms. I

3.) Is there a way of using the on-board diagnostics to see if the ECU / or TB or air intake temp sender are at fault ?????

finally.....

4.) I know the TB's can go faulty and cause all sorts of running issues, what are these and how would i know if it was this at fault ? The current TB is the car's 2nd one, but it was a 2nd hand replacement one......

Lots of questions i know - thanks in advance for any help.

matt, i think the hotwire measures airflow rather than ambient air temp, you could monitor the lambda voltage for a/f/r but the stock narrowband lambda is very limited in scale

Changed the fuel filter, and checked the old one which was new for the event, and it was fine.

The problem is there with any fuel load

Good idea though i checked the fuel filter first, plugs, ht leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm are all new.

Anyone any other ideas before i start planning the removal and re-build of the TB ????

yes matt, like i say, monitor the lambda voltage, if it hangs at around .5v at cruise, you can rule out a lambda problem, and if it goes off the scale lean when the car is holding back, then it will help you pinpoint the fault :)

The airflow meters are air MASS meters. They directly measure the amount of air as mass which naturally compensates for temp/density.

Id give it a clean with carb cleaner (when turned off) and see if that helps.

Back